What's new

SACD, DVD-A, mp3, Progressive - $399? (1 Viewer)

Kelly N

Agent
I was wondering what anyone knows about actual release dates of the Apex AD-7701. It is the first universal player I know of . I realize that Apex makes pretty cheap components, but I have four friends that have purchased other Apex DVD players and only one of them has had any functionality problems. They are not pretty, feel a bit on the flimsy side, and are ergonomically bizarre, but their performance has been acceptable.
I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that the technologies that make up components are so good these days that a piece of equipment that simply performs to the minimums specs set forth by say, Dolby Labs will still sound pretty good. I mean that I haven't heard any demo of properly functioning Dolby Digital equipment that sounded bad. Obviously, better components will sound superior to El-cheapo components. Speaker quality not withstanding, the lowest priced DD setup I've heard sounded better than the best DPL setup I've heard because the underlying technology is better.
O.K. I rambled. I apologize. I'm just thinking that the opportunity for someone on a budget to get their hands on a player that will incorporate the best technologies currently available and do it for less than $400 is pretty cool.
All of that crap having been said, does anyone know anything about this piece? When and where will it really be available ?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know a number of people who have Apex players without any issues. My aunt liked her first one so much, she bought a second. The second one would not pass a DD signal, and it was replaced by the store where she purchased it. The new one has had no problems since.
Personally, I thought it was too good to be true for the price, but after checking it out, it does have all the bells and whistles, and does a more than satisfactory job. (non SA, MP3, Progressive)
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 09, 2001 at 02:46 PM]

JohnFR

Stunt Coordinator
I have been watching for the availability of this player because of its apparant capabilities.
So the other day I sent an email to Apex and got the following reply:
not yet but expect available in oct/nov stores
Build quality and performance will be a big question mark for me, but I'm definitely interested given the advertised features.

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
I was pretty excited when I heard that this player was the one that could "do it all". I just hope that Apex proves all of us wrong and finally delivers a quality product. I question the quality of the DACs for DVD-A and SACD. But it should be interesting to see how it performs. I think that it might be an affordable alternative to the better players.

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing.. it's supposed to ship this month but has anyone heard exactly when and what the street pricing will be?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If its DACs turn DSD into PCM before doing a D to A conversion then the SACD portion would be useless to me (and that goes for any universal player like that).
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan, I absolutely agree with you. Still, it would be fun to check out this player. However, I consider $400 too much to spend on an Apex product. Maybe it will be built to a higher standard than other Apex players, but I am skeptical.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks