1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SACD... do I need a new reciever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Hi, as I am getting more and more intrigued by the new SACD players, I'm beginning to wonder whether my reciever would be able to decode the multi channels of the CD's.
    I have a Sony STR DE945. Does your reciever need to have some type of SACD decoder to fully take advantage of the SACD's technology, or as long as i have a 5.1 set up and decoder I'll be fine?
    Thanks for any help!
    Chris

2. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Your receiver will not decode SACD, nor will any receiver or pre-amplifier on the market. The manufacturers of both SACD (Sony/Phillps) and DVD-A have yet to establish a standard for digital transmission of these high res signals. Therefore the players themsaleves do the decoding and pass an analog signal out.
    So, as long as you have analog ins, preferably analog bypass, you are just fine.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

3. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

ahhh, I see.
    So since I have that 6-port 5.1 analog channel input, it'll be okay?
    How about using the Toslink cable to handle that?
    Thanks.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I doubt you'll be able to fit the TOSLink connector into an RCA jack [​IMG]
    Seriously, the TOSLink interface is a DIGITAL interface, and thus far, with very rare exceptions, SACD and DVD-A are passed as ANALOG only.
    The only way you're going to listen to SACD is through the 5.1 input (or a stereo input if you buy a two-channel SACD).
    There's a touch more to it than this, but that's enough for now!
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity