SACD - Did I Completely Miss The Boat?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Lehner, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Chris Lehner

Chris Lehner Agent

OK, I will admit my stupidity in public: I just always assumed SACD was a multi-channel format, since it was always being compared against DVD-A. I'm a die-hard 2-channel guy (when it comes to music), so I paid little interest. I just happen to glance at my Acoustic Sounds catalog and I see SACD Stereo? So is SACD a processing enhancement, like HDCD (which I have), as opposed to multi-channel recording? I.E. better sound rather than just multi-channel sound?

If so, I have 2 questions: 1) what is the difference between Single Layer and Hybrid and 2) what's considered the best entry-level player to get in?

Thanks,
    CDL

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Chris,
    A simple search in this area will provide you with enough reading material to stay in the bathroom for days[​IMG]
    SACD comes in multichannel and 2 channel. I prefer 2 channel for most of what I have heard. It mostly boils down to the quality of the source tapes, weather it is originally recorded in DSD, and the sound mixer/ engineer IMHO. A hybrid sacd is one that has a stereo track capable of being played by most(do a search on this as well) if not all cd players and a sacd layer(sometimes multichannel and 2 channel and sometimes just 2 channel.
    I tend to prefer 2 channel and am simply amazed at the separation of instruments I can hear on certain recordings, ie.. Stones, SRV, etc..
    I have a SCDC222ES cd/sacd changer I received for 325.00. I prefer not to have any video processing with my sacd/cd[​IMG]
    Please do a search and you will receive the powerful knowledge of other posters!

3. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

In short, an SACD will *always* have a stereo track. It's part of the spec. A multi-channel track can be included in addition to stereo, but it's not required.

"Hybrid" SACDs have a CD-compatible layer that will play in most CD players (DVD players and DVD-ROM drives sometimes have trouble, though). However, this will sound no better and no worse than any other CD.

"Single-layer" SACDs will only work in SACD players.

Ryan

4. Chris Lehner

Chris Lehner Agent

Thanks for the replys. After the post, I did a little research and confirmed as much. As I mentioned, I currently have HDCD capability and I love the difference. How does SACD compare?

CDL

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Since I don't have HDCD capability, I couldn't tell you from my perspective. I was under the impression that SACD will always outperform a regular redbook CD, HDCD encoded or not. However, I just came across this article comparing the NAD C541i CD player and the Sony DVP-NS500V DVD/CD/SACD player, which I purchased for $179.95 new. I remember The Absolute Sound mentioned the Sony compared favorably to the Rega Planet.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

I just wanted to add that I always preferred stereo when playing back music, but that was before my purchase of a multi-channel SACD player. The difference between playing a cd in anyone of the many surround modes that a receiver can reproduce and playing back a multi-channel SACD is tremendous. Do yourself a favor and buy some multi-channel SACDs that you have an interest in because you'll always have the stereo layer.

I own some multi-channel SACDs that I just love the sound of, and no longer play the stereo version of them (ex. James Taylor-Hourglass, Spyro Grya-Modern Times, Dave Brubeck-Time Out, Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith, 1812 Overture)

Enjoy your purchase. My only regret is that I didn't buy a universal player that plays SACD and DVD-A.

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

9. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

SACD is better than HDCD, no comparison really.

I feel it is worth getting into SACD for it does make music come alive.

An excellent entry-level SACD player is the Sony 775 changer. It does Stereo and Multi-Channel. Get one real soon cause it's now discontinued. Goes for about $180 new. Less than that used (open box...check out a Circuit City).

10. Chris Lehner

Chris Lehner Agent

Yeah, I happen to see the SCD-CE775 today at Best Buy. I thought it was new, at that price point, but it's on its' way out huh? I had a question; rather subjective I suppose.

SCD-CE775 at < $200 or spring for the 222ES at $500?

I mean, I know usually buy the best you can, but in this case, is SACD...SACD?

Thanks,
    CDL

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, while some feel the 'CE775 and 'C222ES are very similar soundwise and that extra money for the 'C222ES primarily gets you better build quality and a better warranty, I feel the 'C222ES does sound better, both with CDs and SACDs. The difference is greater with CDs. If you can step up to the 'C222ES, do so. Authorized mail-order dealers like OneCall (1-800-340-4770), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), and Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) sell it for around $350. For $350, I feel the 'C222ES buys you a better CD and SACD player in addition to better build quality and a better warranty (five years versus one year). Finally, the 'C222ES has both optical and coaxial digital outputs, while the 'CE775 has just an optical digital output.

12. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I love mt 222ES[​IMG] You will too!

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

14. JonathanG

JonathanG Stunt Coordinator

Now if only the records studio's actualy release music from my favourite genres. The only albums I really want are imports and include the "Muse - B-sides album", "Groove Armada", and "Kinobe".