What's new

SACD Connections (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
OK, this is kind of a rookie question. I've got an SACD player hooked up to my reciever, which requires 6 RCA cables, one for each channel. My friend gave me an extra set of Accoustic Research audio/video cables, and I bought an extra matching set to give me a total of six cables, 4 audio, 2 video. Are the composite video cables OK for carrying an audio signal? From what I can tell, they are just rated higher. (75 ohms?) I'm using the video cables for the center and sub, and they sound fine to me. I just wanted some opinions on this, and whether you think I should quit being a cheap-ass and go buy another set of audio cables, or just stay with what I've got. It sounds great now, but I wonder if I'm not getting all I can out of it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not 100% sure, but i think video cabling requires more stringent tolerances (more bandwidth?) then audio cabling.

i think you're good to go, but i suppose you could always pick up another pair and see if you hear any difference - but i doubt you will.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
You will see on the packaging that the AUDIO cables are wound wire and the VIDEO cables are a solid core cable. What I did for my DVD- Audio player was to buy three packages of these same cables. Used the six audio cables for my DVD-A source and used the remaining three video cables for the component video hook up. Saved me quite a few bucks that way!:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've already got some pretty good component video cables - Tributaries Delta series, so I really don't have a use for another set now. Do you think the video cables are OK for carrying an audio signal? They sound fine to me, but if they should sound better, than I'll probably quit being cheap and buy another set of audio cables.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Considering you have both plugged in at the same time, listen to the ones plugged in with video cable vs. the ones with audio cable and see if they're distinguishable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, get a good set of audio interconnects. Wound/stranded wire is more of a cost thing than anything. There are audio interconnects available which are solid, but they are not so inexpensive.

Personally, I would use the better cables on the center and sub, and the questionable ones with the surrounds, as there is less info in the surrounds.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Personally, I would use the best cables for the mains, assuming you listen to all SACDs in "direct" mode (which will send all audio to the mains on stereo SACDs).

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I finally tried switching the cables around to see if there was any difference. I used an audio cable for the front left, and a video cable for the front right. I couldn't tell any difference between the two. For now, I think I'll just leave my setup as it is, using the video cables for center and sub. Maybe the next time I go to Bust Buy I'll get a pair of audio cables to replace them.

I really don't listen to SACD too much anyway, I've only got 2 SACDs - Police Greatest Hits and Floyd DSOTM. SACD is cool, but it's more of a novelty to show off to freinds than anything for me. There just aren't enough titles that I like. I'd much rather make a CD full of MP3s for $0.25 and deal with the lower sound quality.

And David, I listen to my extensive collection in multichannel only. (Much more impressive sounding)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks