SACD Connection

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gerard Martin, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

I have heard in order to make the proper SACD connection 3 pair of RCA audio cables are required connected from the 5.1 output of the SACD player to the 5.1 input of the A/V receiver. My Sony NC555ES indicates two pair of RCA audio cables should be used along with two Monaural cables, one connected to the center channel the other to the woofer channel. My question, what is a monaural cable, is it necessary or can that third pair of RCA audio cables be safely used in there place?? As always TIA.

2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

A third pair would be fine. Since the fronts and rears have a left and right channel, they tell you to use a stereo pair of cables. The center and sub channels are single so they tell you to use a single cable. I think it's an attempt to avoid confusion...or they're in cahoots with the mono cable manufacturers [​IMG]

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

do these monaural cables have to be monodirectional as well, i wonder...

[​IMG]

4. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Gerald, I just hooked up my 555es this week too. Got the 5.1 cables in yesterday too. Only have 3 SACDs. Dark Side of the Moon, Police Greatest Hits, and Heart live. I was surprised that "Da Doo Doo Doo" on the Police is completely different on the multi-channel track, it's not just mixed for surround.

Only the number of cables is crazy! I have a 5ES receiver, so I have digital COAX for dvd (Not sure if it's any better than the analog 5.1?), the 3 pairs for 5.1 multi-channel SACD playback, and an extra pair from the CD output to CD in so I can play CDs to my 3rd room output. The 5ES won't sent multichannel or digital inputs to the 3rd room speaker connections.

Now do I really need to do all the settings on the dvd player with regards to speaker setup (size, distance, volume, etc)? I know the dvd player settings won't affect what goes out over the digital output. But what about the multichannel output? Does only the player's settings apply? I know they don't apply to digital outputs. What about the similar speaker settings on the receiver? Do they apply to all inputs? How do you have the sacd player setting work well with the receiver settings?

Thanks

5. Gerard Martin

Phil
    Welcome to the wonderful world of SACD and cables, cables, cables. one more new audio format and there won,t be enough holes left in a receiver to connect. What I did using a Denon 3803 is set the Sonys speaker settings to what I have set on my Denon, using the Sonys test tones found all setting balanced with the exception of the sub woofer which was way to high. As for analog and digital settings it seems like they should be two different things however I may very well be wrong.
    What do you think of SACD so far, the demo disc that came with the changer didn,t really ring my bell.

6. Phil Tomaskovic

What demo disc??? I don't think I got one. Was it in the box? Where did you buy from? I like the Police CD, the Heart seems poor maybe because it's live. I was thinking of getting the Dylan Blonde on Blonde which got rave reviews, although I'm not that big of a fan of his other than the big hits.

7. Steve_AS

Steve_AS Second Unit

8. Gerard Martin

I got the changer at Onecall the Bob Dyland disc was included along with the owners manual, and warranty. If you didn,t get it you didn,t miss much, sounds IMO like a multi-channel dog in pain.

9. Steve_AS

Steve_AS Second Unit

10. Gerard Martin

Thanks Steve
    Appreciate that informative clarification, imagine it will be very helpful to others entering the world of SACD.

11. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

12. Gerard Martin

Brian
    Didn,t realize what useful information that link contained, Thanks.
    Regarding Bob Dylands demo disc after further review and audio adjustment the disc sounds much better than originally thought.

13. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

15. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I thought the Dylan sampler sounded terrific! In fact, I immediately went out and picked up the new Blonde on Blonde hybrid. Next up, Nashville Skyline.[​IMG] Of course, I also went to Woodstock, so what do I know...[​IMG]

16. Phil Tomaskovic

Hmm, Oade says they haven't seen any demo sacd's in any of the new 555, 777, or 999es that they have opened. They said the old sacd555es (non-dvd player) had demos. Maybe I will call Sony.

17. Phil Tomaskovic

So is it only Dylan on the sampler? How many songs? I wrote to Sony from their website, we'll see...

18. Gerard Martin

Phil
    The name of the disc is Bob Dylan Revisited - The reissue series and consists of 7 songs taken from various Bob Dylan albums such as upcoming album The Bootleg Series Vol 6, Bringing it back home, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the tracks, Slow train coming, Love and Theft, and Masked and Anonymous. Looking at the disc while I call it a demo copy they call it a Promotional Copy.

19. Phil Tomaskovic

Called Sony support #. They said the demo disc was something that the dealer can provide, but it wasn't packaged by Sony. Not sure how the dealers get them, but that was their reply. Seems funny now that I think of it cause wasn't it in a sealed box with the player? I can believe the Sony factory would package it for only certain dealers' shipments...