SACD combo player or dedicated?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Feb 4, 2002.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Tried DVD forum, but no response so here goes again:

I'm in the market for a new DVD player, and I have also been considering SACD. I have a good CD player right now, so it is not a big deal, but it wouldn't hurt either. I would certainly expect a separate player to be better, but I was curious on the capabilities of combo players, specifically the Sony NS500V. If it does a decent job for the price, I might opt for that vs a DVD only player. My concern is that sound quality would be sacrificed in a combo player, though I am not looking for audiophile level performance.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I think it's inevitable that a combination SACD/DVD player's audio performance will be sacrificed when compared with a dedicated SACD player. However, if you're not looking for a true high-end (ie. expensive) player and need the ability to play back DVDs, the DVP-NS500V could fit the bill.

From what I've seen and read, Sony's new range of SACD combi-players sound very good for their price (I've heard the 900 and was very impressed: SACD sounded truly spectacular) and certainly meet any basic definition of 'decent' sounding when playing SACD discs.

Adam

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I agree with Adam. If you want audio first, get a dedicated SACD/CD player. You could then buy a good progressive-scan DVD player these days for under $500. If you don't need progressive-scan output now, you don't have to use it. It's there for the future.

People do speak highly of Sony's DVD/SACD players from an audio standpoint, but you will get better audio from an audio-only component. For example, instead of spending $700 on the DVP-NS900V, I would buy the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD/CD changer for $600 and a separate DVD player such as the Panasonic DVD-RP91 for $500 (which gets you DVD-Audio). Sure, you are spending quite a bit more money in the process, but you will get a better SACD player (an ES one to boot) as well as DVD-Audio.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    for $700, i'd get the SCD-C222ES ($600) and couple it with a Panny RP56 (~$200). the RP56 the same (if not better...it's a big topic) picture quality as the RP91, but it lacks all the bells and whistles the RP91 is known for.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thomas, last time I checked, $600 + $200 = $800. [​IMG]

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yeah, I think in this case, if I am going to go for separate players, as I think the whole POINT of getting an SA player is to get that wonderful sound.

I'm very fond of Panny for DVD also. My 5+ yr old A300U is still going strong. I don't REALLY need a new DVD, but was looking for a good excuse to upgrade if it was worth it to get a combo player. Not that I think it's not, but I agree that I will likely be happier with dedicated units for each... If anything, I was already considering the SCD222ES (and would not really go for any non ES Sony Audio only gear).

Thanks.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I have to do this. I always tell people who are considering the 'C222ES to also look at the 'C555ES for $200 more. $800 will get you the 'C555ES from authorized mail-order dealers such as OneCall, J&R Music World, and Oade Bros. I bought mine back in October from OneCall for $824 delivered. The 'C555ES is built better than the 'C222ES inside and out and sounds better as a result. Don't get me wrong. At $600, the 'C222ES is a quality player, but if you can spend $800, the 'C555ES is the way to go in my opinion.

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith,

Have we had our 555's that long already? Dang, i lost track somewhere...lol

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, yeah, that occurred to me too. I doesn't seem like it's been four months. Time flies when you are listening to CDs and SACDs on a sweet component. [​IMG]

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I agree with Keith (although, I a not really sure how much better the 555 sounds than the 222, I haven't done a double blind test, etc.....) but my 222 sounds very nice, and I hear that most people say it sounds better than the dvd/sacd 9000es that sony has out (which is a nice peice for around $1100 street price). If yu can afford it go with the 555, if not save a couple hundred and get the 222, you won't be dissappointed