SACD basics question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve_L, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

All, can someone straighten me out on SACD audio. I have a Pioneer 578A DVD player with all of the ability to play SACD and DVD-A sources and have it set to output Multi-channel area of the SACD. I have a Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K receiver.

So I thought that SACD kind of implied multi-channel audio, but I guess now I am realizing it really doesn't. I am listening to a Mofi SACD I just bought, SoulTrane, John Coltrane, and it is apparently a Monaural recording. The Pioneer senses the incoming signal only on the Multi-channel In and then only gives me front L/R. If I switch off Multi-channel In, which would be for incoming Digital signals I get nothing.

Apparently SACD recording, does not imply a 5.1 output. Is that a correct statement? This CD, as great as it is sound wise, is strictly L/R channels and Monaural at that.

I guess I was thinking that most SACD recordings would output 5.1 of one format or another.

Can anyone give me a pointer to a good read about SACD for the beginner?

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    SACD originally came out in two-channel only. The hybrid CD capability was always part of the plan, but, according to Sony (I've read this in several magazines--didn't hear it from Sony directly), it was cheaper and faster to get product out in single layer at first (I think that was a bad move. If they'd all been hybrid from the get-go, as single inventory releases, SACD would be in a much stronger position.). Sony claims MCH was always part of the plan, but there are conflicting reports in the press regarding this issue: was it always planned or was it a response to the MCH DVD-A that hit the scene around the same time? I don't know. Either way, it doesn't matter. There is no rule that requires a MCH mix, either for DVD-A or SACD. SACD DOES require a hi-res stereo (or, in some cases mono) mix as part of its protocol, whereas DVD-A does not. Thus DVD-As WITHOUT MCH mixes are rare (and those with both MCH and stereo are, while not as rare, not that common either). SACDs always have at least a hi-res two-channel mix, can have a MCH mix and, increasingly, have a CD layer. The packaging usually indicates if something is in MCH or not. So far, I've found SACD packaging to be accurate in that regard, but DVD-A labels are less careful (a couple of discs are labelled as having a hi-res two-channel mix, e.g. ELP--BRAIN SALAD SURGERY, but that mix is not on the disc).

Short version: Not all SACDs are MCH. You should read the labels carefully in this regard.

Edit: DVD-As carry a Dolby Digital (sometimes DTS) mix that is usually MCH. That will be output via the digital connection, like a movie, but it is NOT hi-res audio. DVD-As are supposed to include such a mix to make them compatible with any almost any DVD player out there. SACDs do not carry a lower-res MCH mix, even when there is a hi-res MCH on the disc. They are not obliged to be compatible with anything other than an SACD capable player, but almost all new releases have a CD layer (thus making these discs HYBRID SACD/CD) to make them playable just about anywhere. DVD-A has responded to this with a new format, DualDisc, which is a DVD on one side and a CD on the flip side. Do a search on DualDisc and see what the fuss/problems are. SACDs are not "flipper" discs.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi there, Steve: This question is about an A/V source, which is why it has been moved from Receivers/Amps to here. JB

4. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

Paul, thanks for the explanation. Great info! Thanks!!

No prob for the post move Jack.

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    You're welcome.

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Brian Moura, of highfidelityreview.com. has his own website that list just about every multi-channel SACD available in the world. You can access it by clicking here.

Another source would be sa-cd.net, where just about every SACD released in the world is listed.

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

and don't avoid sacds just because they're not multichannel. you'll be missing out on some great-sounding remasters, if you do.

8. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

There is a hi-rez 2 channel mix on my copy of BSS, and it sounds better than the MC mix, IMO.

9. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    How do you access it? I haven't been able to see it anywhere in the menu (and I'm not afraid of looking foolish if it's a simple matter).

10. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Dont forget how good CD's in DTS surround sound.

11. Dan Driscoll

I'm pretty sure access is via the main menu, but I'll check it tonight.

12. Dan Driscoll

[​IMG] I must have been thinking of another disk. I checked my copy of BSS and the only stereo tracks are those for the videos. The DVD-A tracks are MC.

13. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Not to worry. DVD-A labels are generally less accurate than others, I've found.