SACD and local retailers, ugh!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I decided to try getting my first SACD from a local retailer other than Busted Buy and CC. So, I went to The Disc Exchange and ordered Dave's True Story - UNAUTHORIZED on the Chesky label. Well, they got it in promptly, but when I arrived to pick it up it was priced at $23.99. I told the foggy clerk I wouldn't pay over list price which is $19.99. He told me to take it up with the manager.

2-day I did take it up with the manager. He steadfastly denied that the list was $19.99. He left the phone and claimed to have gone to the net to check on the list. He even said that Chesky's site was selling it for $19.98 and suggested they were undercutting the market!!! This dude was more than a little daft! He finally said we'll just have to aggree to disaggree. I said, I don't aggree. The list for the bleeding thang is $19.99. I'll take my biz back to the net.

Where are SACD and DVD-A headed if local retailers won't stock them and want a premium just to order them?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, I feel your pain. I picked up the first two Alison Krauss SACDs at a smaller chain store in New Jersey within the past two months. In fact, I got them at great prices. One was $13.99 with a $2 off sale, and the other was $17.99. Shortly after New Favorite came out on SACD, I went to the same store hoping they would have it. They did not. I asked the manager about special ordering it, and his computer system didn't have it listed. I told him that I had gotten the other Krauss SACDs at his store, and he said he would try to get New Favorite through his buyer. After a week, he told me that this buyer had not been able to get the SACD, so he said he would go through a different buyer. Still no SACD. All the time, I reminded him that I got the other Krauss SACDs there. The sad thing is that this store gets SACDs when they come out, and then they never restock anything. It's amazing! Their prices are great, but their inventory is horrendous. Blech!

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, SACD's besides Sony's are just too hard to buy. [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, so true. [​IMG]

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I myself have never seen a non-Sony SACD in a store. This is a real shame, as it misrepresents the format.

NP: Frank Zappa, Lost Episodes, CD

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, in fact, Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc are my vendors of choice. I'd like to have more choices though. I decided to prime the pump locally and see what happened... Best wishes!