SACD and DVD-A Releases ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Moritz, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Has anyone heard anything about if they are going to release Pink Floyed on SACD or DVD-A ? There are some really great albums out there that should be released on these formats but are not.

These are the following I would like to see on SACD or DVD-A
    1. Pink Floyed - Dark Side of the Moon
    2. Pink Floyed - Another Brick in the Wall
    3. Pink Floyed - Pulse
    4. The Eagels - Hotel California SACD (available on DVD-A)
    5. Rush - 2112

What do you all think ?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Dave,

It usually breaks down by label.

Which labels are PF and Rush on?

Unless DVD-A dies, you won't see Eagles titles on SACD as they are a Warner affiliated group.

Regards,

3. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

rush is on mercury and atlantic[atlantic any album from the early 90's on]

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    I usually look at sites like the below (there are others too) for what is upcoming:
    For DVD-A
    http://pub9.ezboard.com/fquadraphonicquadfrm4
    For SACD, what is out and they have a link to what is coming
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...a/msacdnow.htm
    Wow, John and Lee on the same post without fireworks, perhaps you guys watched Tyson get beat-up the other night?
    While from what I've heard to date, I prefer SACD (hard to make direct comparisons since as noted above release format is dictated by label and there are only a handful of releases in both formats by audiophile labels), I am for better software of any format. This is another good site for info on releases in both formats:
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...snumber=402660

6. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Micahel,

I will search. I think it was based on a story of BMG doing DVDA and SACDs together (not sure if same or different titles) I believe in Hong Kong. I read it about 2-3 weeks ago on a fairly official looking press release.

Lee

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Someone mentioned here recently that Warner was releasing titles on SACD in Hong Kong. I asked the person for a link, but got no reply. Has anyone heard about Warner SACDs in Hong Kong?

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    The BMG Hong Kong Imports can be bought at Elusive Disc, www.elusivedisc.com.
    BMGSACD743218 BELAFONTE/AT CARNEGIE HALL HK IMPORT SACD
    Click the picture for more information
    Selections: Introduction/Darlin' Cora, Sylvie, Cotton Fields, John Henry, The Marching Saints, Banana Boat Song (Day-O), Jamaica Farewell, Mama Look a Boo Boo, Come Back Liza, Man Smart (Woman Smarter), Hava Nagila, Danny Boy, Cu Cu Ru Cu Cu Paloma, Shenandoah, Matilda.
    Format: BMG HK Import Hybrid SACD
    Availability Price Qty
    Out of Stock $39.99
    BMGSACD7432189273 BUTTERFLY LOVERS & YELLOW RIVER HK IM SACD
    Selections: The Yellow River (Piano Concerto): Prelude; The Song of the Yellow River Boatman, Ode to the Yellow River, The Yellow River Wrath, Defend the Yellow River; The Butterfly Lovers (Violin Concerto). .
    Availability Price Qty
    In Stock $39.99
    BMGSACD7432187650 CITY OF SADNESS/SOUNDTRACK HK IMPORT SACD
    Selections: A City Of Sadness, Flute Solo (Hiromi), Variation 1, Variation 2, Dedicated to Hou Hsiao-hsien.
    Availability Price Qty
    In Stock $39.99
    BMGSACD7438899902 LOS INDIOS TABAJARAS/HEART HK IM SACD
    These two young Indians with their unique mellow guitar style are true virtuosos, playing popular and jazz selections.
    Availability Price Qty
    In Stock $39.99

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith,
    I think you're talking about me in regards to Warner Bros. out of Hong Kong releasing SACDs instead of DVD-A's. Yesasia.com just recently started to sell SACDs and this link was added within the last week or two. Click on the upper right corner for the English version of the site.
    Also today on audioasylum.com, a post by Kenny mentioned Universal Music of Hong Kong has released several titles on SACD as well, with plans for even more.. Here's the link to the thread
    Here's the (one of the?) link where I mentioned Warner Bros. in Hong Kong is releasing SACDs.

11. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Lee,

Can you show me some of the WB titles that have released on SACD in Asia?

Regards,

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

John,

Click on the yesasia.com link and chose SACD Collection (not the hybrid link). Titles by Sally Yeh, Danny Chan and George Lam are from Warner Bros. Each of these titles also comes with a DSD-remastered red book CD containing the same tracks. Danny Summer used to be on the Warner Bros. label but his SACD is a recent effort, so not on Warner Bros. The other titles are on Sony.

Have to check out the BUTTERFLY LOVERS & YELLOW RIVER SACD on BMG. I believe this the classic Eugene Normandy/Philidephia Orchestra version.

Since I mentioned BMG of HK, according to the thread on audioasylum, BMG also released its first HK pop SACD with Prudence Lew's 1986 self-titled debut, one of the biggest HK pop albums of the '80s.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, yes it was you. [​IMG] Thanks for posting the link. I'll check it out.
    NP: The Who The Ultimate Collection CD, disc 1 ("I'm A Boy")

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, just checked out the link. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any of these artists. When I read your post about Warner SACDs, I was hoping for Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, Steely Dan, etc. on SACD. Perhaps someday. [​IMG]
    NP: The Who The Ultimate Collection CD, disc 1 ("Boris the Spider")

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith,

Yes, the titles released are of local artists. Titles from acts like Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, etc....will have to come from the Warner Bros. out of the US or Japan. The music market in HK is so small that 25,000 copies sold (for a foreign language, i.e. English)means platinum status. However, audiophiles in HK are some of the most fanatical in the world (and thus Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms in XRCD2 CD), so let's keep our fingers crossed. Right now, imagining the beginning minute of "Money For Nothing" in SACD or DVD-A glory.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny said:

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

18. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Man I'm lost.

Warner and EMI merged, right?

Virgin is a part of EMI, right?

The Stones are part of Virgin, right?

So why are they being release on SACD if the parent company is ultimately Warner?

Well at least The Beatles are on Capitol. That'll be DVD-A for sure........right?

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Al, the early Stones albums are owned by ABCKO, not Virgin. I don't keep up with the hierarchy within record labels, but ABCKO has nothing to do with Warner. Furthermore, Virgin has already released SACDs. Some have only been released in Europe (e.g., Human League Dare!), however, Virgin released Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells on SACD internationally last year. Anyway, I am almost certain that Virgin is not affiliated with Warner.

20. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor