What's new

SACD and DVD-A Releases ?? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Has anyone heard anything about if they are going to release Pink Floyed on SACD or DVD-A ? There are some really great albums out there that should be released on these formats but are not.

These are the following I would like to see on SACD or DVD-A
1. Pink Floyed - Dark Side of the Moon
2. Pink Floyed - Another Brick in the Wall
3. Pink Floyed - Pulse
4. The Eagels - Hotel California SACD (available on DVD-A)
5. Rush - 2112

What do you all think ?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

It usually breaks down by label.

Which labels are PF and Rush on?

Unless DVD-A dies, you won't see Eagles titles on SACD as they are a Warner affiliated group.

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Unless DVD-A dies, you won't see Eagles titles on SACD as they are a Warner affiliated group.
I would be inclined to agree with this, but with some uncertainty. In Asia, some DVD labels have also put out SACDs recently. Plus, things could change very quickly based on perceptions of senior mgmt. on which format has what size audience.

As far as Pink Floyd (one of my favorites), if Mobile Fidelity can get rights, it is entirely possible (indeed I would argue likely) for a Super Audio release.

John, I tried to keep this post as format neutral as possible. I hope I succeeded.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I usually look at sites like the below (there are others too) for what is upcoming:
For DVD-A
Link Removed
For SACD, what is out and they have a link to what is coming
Link Removed
Wow, John and Lee on the same post without fireworks, perhaps you guys watched Tyson get beat-up the other night?
While from what I've heard to date, I prefer SACD (hard to make direct comparisons since as noted above release format is dictated by label and there are only a handful of releases in both formats by audiophile labels), I am for better software of any format. This is another good site for info on releases in both formats:
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...snumber=402660

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
In Asia, some DVD labels have also put out SACDs recently.
Lee, Someone posted this exact same line here a while back and of course it was quickly repeated over at AA. As far as I know, there have been no links to the sites where this info came from. Please provide your source for this or better yet, a link to the labels' sites who are involved.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Micahel,

I will search. I think it was based on a story of BMG doing DVDA and SACDs together (not sure if same or different titles) I believe in Hong Kong. I read it about 2-3 weeks ago on a fairly official looking press release.

Lee

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Someone mentioned here recently that Warner was releasing titles on SACD in Hong Kong. I asked the person for a link, but got no reply. Has anyone heard about Warner SACDs in Hong Kong?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The BMG Hong Kong Imports can be bought at Elusive Disc, www.elusivedisc.com.
BMGSACD743218 BELAFONTE/AT CARNEGIE HALL HK IMPORT SACD
Click the picture for more information
Selections: Introduction/Darlin' Cora, Sylvie, Cotton Fields, John Henry, The Marching Saints, Banana Boat Song (Day-O), Jamaica Farewell, Mama Look a Boo Boo, Come Back Liza, Man Smart (Woman Smarter), Hava Nagila, Danny Boy, Cu Cu Ru Cu Cu Paloma, Shenandoah, Matilda.
Format: BMG HK Import Hybrid SACD
Availability Price Qty
Out of Stock $39.99
BMGSACD7432189273 BUTTERFLY LOVERS & YELLOW RIVER HK IM SACD
Selections: The Yellow River (Piano Concerto): Prelude; The Song of the Yellow River Boatman, Ode to the Yellow River, The Yellow River Wrath, Defend the Yellow River; The Butterfly Lovers (Violin Concerto). .
Availability Price Qty
In Stock $39.99
BMGSACD7432187650 CITY OF SADNESS/SOUNDTRACK HK IMPORT SACD
Selections: A City Of Sadness, Flute Solo (Hiromi), Variation 1, Variation 2, Dedicated to Hou Hsiao-hsien.
Availability Price Qty
In Stock $39.99
BMGSACD7438899902 LOS INDIOS TABAJARAS/HEART HK IM SACD
These two young Indians with their unique mellow guitar style are true virtuosos, playing popular and jazz selections.
Availability Price Qty
In Stock $39.99

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Keith,
I think you're talking about me in regards to Warner Bros. out of Hong Kong releasing SACDs instead of DVD-A's. Yesasia.com just recently started to sell SACDs and this link was added within the last week or two. Click on the upper right corner for the English version of the site.
Also today on audioasylum.com a post by Kenny mentioned Universal Music of Hong Kong has released several titles on SACD as well, with plans for even more.. Here's the link to the thread
Here's the (one of the?) link where I mentioned Warner Bros. in Hong Kong is releasing SACDs.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
John,

Click on the yesasia.com link and chose SACD Collection (not the hybrid link). Titles by Sally Yeh, Danny Chan and George Lam are from Warner Bros. Each of these titles also comes with a DSD-remastered red book CD containing the same tracks. Danny Summer used to be on the Warner Bros. label but his SACD is a recent effort, so not on Warner Bros. The other titles are on Sony.

Have to check out the BUTTERFLY LOVERS & YELLOW RIVER SACD on BMG. I believe this the classic Eugene Normandy/Philidephia Orchestra version.

Since I mentioned BMG of HK, according to the thread on audioasylum, BMG also released its first HK pop SACD with Prudence Lew's 1986 self-titled debut, one of the biggest HK pop albums of the '80s.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny, yes it was you. ;) Thanks for posting the link. I'll check it out.
NP: The Who The Ultimate Collection CD, disc 1 ("I'm A Boy")

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny, just checked out the link. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any of these artists. When I read your post about Warner SACDs, I was hoping for Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, Steely Dan, etc. on SACD. Perhaps someday. :)
NP: The Who The Ultimate Collection CD, disc 1 ("Boris the Spider")

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

Yes, the titles released are of local artists. Titles from acts like Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, etc....will have to come from the Warner Bros. out of the US or Japan. The music market in HK is so small that 25,000 copies sold (for a foreign language, i.e. English)means platinum status. However, audiophiles in HK are some of the most fanatical in the world (and thus Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms in XRCD2 CD), so let's keep our fingers crossed. Right now, imagining the beginning minute of "Money For Nothing" in SACD or DVD-A glory.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Man I'm lost.

Warner and EMI merged, right?

Virgin is a part of EMI, right?

The Stones are part of Virgin, right?

So why are they being release on SACD if the parent company is ultimately Warner?

Well at least The Beatles are on Capitol. That'll be DVD-A for sure........right?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Al, the early Stones albums are owned by ABCKO, not Virgin. I don't keep up with the hierarchy within record labels, but ABCKO has nothing to do with Warner. Furthermore, Virgin has already released SACDs. Some have only been released in Europe (e.g., Human League Dare!), however, Virgin released Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells on SACD internationally last year. Anyway, I am almost certain that Virgin is not affiliated with Warner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks