SACD and DVD-A collectibles

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Is it early to start collecting early issues of SACDs and DVD-A's?

Just curious....

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I don't think so as I know of one: Duke Ellington "Blues in Orbit" which is out of print according to Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. And it sounds good too.

The downside to collecting early SACDs, in addition to ones you have a musical interest in, is that sonics have largely improved over the past four years.

[​IMG]

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Thanks, Lee!

I read with interest about various "Target" CDs and CBS/Sony first issue CDs over at the Steve Hoffman website. So I was wondering perhaps some of the already-issued SACDs and DVD-A's could be collectibles in the not-too-distant future. I think I should blame Keith H for this thread. [​IMG]

How about Eric Johnson's "Ah Via Musicom" DVD-A? What about those Sony SACD's with the solid cardboard sleeves, instead of the current gold plastic sleeves? Maybe those cracked Crest SACDs?

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee said:

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, I proudly accept the blame for this thread. Collecting first pressings of CDs is addicting. Besides the fact that they are tough to track down, they often sound better than remasters.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    There are proably some early release discs worth collecting if you really want to listen to them. Some of Sony's slower selling single-layer stuff may not come back as hybrids later??? Who knows what the fates have in store for this format??? Stuff like Johnny Winter, Indigo Girls, and some others. Frankie Goes To Hollywood is getting harder to find. It's proably out-of-print? There's alot of SACD's on small labels that may never exist in much quantity? Labels like Waterlily, DMP, Analogue Productions, Audioquest, and a few others I suppose...