SACD and DVD-A, but only one 5.1 analog input?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry Hostler, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Jerry Hostler

Jerry Hostler Stunt Coordinator

I have noticed that a few, and it seems like only a few, receivers (Denon, Sony) have a second 5.1 (or 7.1) analog input for SACD and DVD-A players. I have seen mentioned a few times a Radio Shack device (model#?) that is used to combine two sources into only one input. I'm curious if this device degrades the audio quality in your opinion. How is the switching done between the two?

When shopping for a new receiver or pre/pro would it be wise to shop for one that has multiple analog inputs?

Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

Jerry

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I find myself mostly listening to SACD in stereo, so I just switch out the Front L&R cables between my DVD-A & SACD players. I have easy access to the rear panels, but I know that is not practical in some set-ups.

Some members swear there is no degradation with the Radio Shack switchers, but I prefer not to run my system that way. The best thing you can do is to try it and see for yourself if you notice a difference and return the equipment if you do.

If you are in the market for a new receiver/pre-pro anyways, you might as well get one with 2 multi-channel inputs if you can find one in your price range.

DJ

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, if you can find a receiver or pre/pro with two sets of multi-channel inputs, get it for the convenience, so long as it in your price range and offers suitable performance.
    I use the Radio Shack switch boxes and detect no sonic degradation. The part number is 15-1952, and one box is $15. You need two of them for 5.1-channel sources. Each box has two sets of inputs and one output. Each input and output has three RCA jacks, which are intended for stereo audio (left and right channels) and composite video. Each box has an A/B switch on top. Here is how I use the switch boxes:
    Box 1
    Input A: front left DVD-Audio, front right DVD-Audio, center DVD-Audio
    Input B: front left SACD, front right SACD, center SACD
    Output: to front left, front right, and center inputs on receiver
    Box 2
    Input A: rear left DVD-Audio, rear right DVD-Audio, subwoofer DVD-Audio
    Input B: rear left SACD, rear right SACD, subwoofer SACD
    Output: to rear left, rear right, and subwoofer inputs on receiver
    That's all there is to it!

4. Jerry Hostler

Thanks David and Keith.

I would definitely prefer a receiver or pre/pro with 2 sets of inputs, but am glad to hear that there doesn't seem to be any sonic degradation using the switcher. That gives me a lot more options when shopping and only the slight inconvenience of having to push the A/B button.

Thanks for the hookup explanation and RS part# Keith.

Jerry

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, no problem. My Sony STR-V444ES receiver only has one set of 5.1-channel inputs, so the Radio Shack switch boxes at $30 for two are obviously a cheap option for connecting my DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD players. However, my 'V444ES is in the shop and my not be salvageable. If this turns out to be the case, I will likely buy one of the newer ES receivers with two sets of multi-channel inputs. [​IMG]

6. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Jerry. Are these the connections you're looking for?
    When you click the link scroll down for the view of the rear of the Sony TA-P9000es.
    Rear of the TAP9000es
    If this looks like the connections you're looking for then read up on this link.
    Press
    for more info.

Good Luck

7. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

I believe an ICBM with 2 inputs has already been suggested

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matt, I feel it would a very smart move for Outlaw to produce an ICBM with two sets of multi-channel inputs. Call it the ICBM 2 or something. Outlaw should get such a device out on the market before the manufacturers of players catch on to the thorough way of handling bass management. What are they waiting for?

9. Jerry Hostler

Martice, thanks for the link to a very informative thread that I had missed in the past. This sounds like a great product but I think it would be overkill. It sounds like those $15 RS switchers will do the trick of combining two 5.1 analog connections into one. I'm not sure if I see the advantage of having the Sony TA-P9000es instead of the switchers. At least for this simple connection scenario.

Jerry

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I would purchase an Outlaw ICBM with two sets of inputs in a heartbeat.

11. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

I have only one 5.1 input on my 3801 so I am waiting for the prices of SACD/DVD-A combo players to fall so I can have both in my system.

12. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if a y splitter into your source would work? Certainly not ideal but may be easier than switching cables.

SACD-------------Pre/Pro
    DVDA-----------/

This would just require that you stop/maybe put the unit that is not playing into standby.

Anyone tried this?

Would reduce chances of interference. If you need Bass management, maybe the new ICBM they are talking about would also work.

Also, how about the new Pioneer DVD 47 that plays both. I think these combo units will be more common.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Joey,

That would not work. I'm not goint to go into the technical reasons why, you're welcome to try it if you'd like to see what happens. The Radio Shack Switchboxes are the easiest and most cost-effective way to do this.

14. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

No no please explain. I am most interested in your expertise.

Cheers!

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joey, I tried Monster Y-adapters to split my multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio players between one set of 5.1-channel inputs. It didn't work. The playback volume of both players was cut down severely, even if only one component was turned on. It's an impedance issue. Apparently, impedance of the non-playing source cuts down the volume of the source that is playing. It's something along those lines. [​IMG]

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thanks Keith.

17. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. That is why we are all here anyway- to try to help and learn. [​IMG]

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Philip,
    No problem.
    Joey,
    This is a great place to learn. I learn a lot about audio and home theater here every day. [​IMG]