SACD (Alison Krauss) wont play in SACD?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Wes, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have the new Pioneer 563 SACD player and find at first when I bought Alison Krauss (New Favorite) SACD disc it played the SACD layer fine but now every time I put it in it only see's the CD layer. I can eject the disc and put in DSotM and it reads and plays the 5.1 mix with no problem but I can reinsert the New Favorite disc and it goes right to the CD layer. I hate Sony and resisted getting into SACD and personally prefer the DVD-A format (which plays the audio I want with no problem every time) so it's really frustrating and gives Sony another black eye in my mind to see this happen.

I have tried pressing the audio button which does nothing and all the set up items are selected and are correct hence the SACD Dark Side of the Moon works fine.

Any Ideas?

Wes

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have a 563 Wes. I think you may need to connect it to a TV (which I hate) and change the settings. I have no problem playing SACDs (including New Favorite) on my unit, but it does not sound nearly as good as a 777ES in my main room.

I don't think you should be down on Sony, Pioneer is solely responsible for the functionality of the player, not Sony. It is an implementation issue, not a format issue.

The Pioneer does not always automatically play the DVDA discs in hirez either. You have to manipulate settings to get the most out of it and that requires a TV set. This is a major problem with many inexpensive DVDA players, unless you have a TV.

You may also try polishing the AKUS disc and see if that helps.

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Thanks for the reply Lee, I knew you would come to Sony's defense.
    I have it hook up to my Projector (it's in my dedicated theater) but that is of no help when you can not scroll through the desired audio tracks (at least not that I have found). It would be nice if you could hit the Audio button and select the audio you wanted but that does nothing.
    is there a way to scroll that I have not stubbled upon?

Wes

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I don't think so...hmmm...I have not had any trouble with this SACD. Check the owner's manual closely and make sure you are reading all the fine print. I may be able to help once I get home tomorrow and do some research.

I disagree with Sony on some things like the need for them to release a universal player, but in this case I thought it was fair to point out that it was an implementation problem, not a format problem. [​IMG]

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Wes, I have a 2900 and you have to go on the menu to change back and forth between stereo and M/C SACD. It's pain in the arse implementation because my Sony players all work by hitting Stop and then hitting the button that switches back and forth between stereo/M-C. The uni's all seem to have some degree of not-so-hot ergonomics in this regard. Best wishes!

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Rachael,
    I have tried switching it from 2 channel hi-res to multi hires to cd and back again with no luck. Like I said, when I first bought the disc it played the multi channel then slowly it got to where I had to play around a bit before it would lock on, now it will not play the 2 or milti channel hi-res track.
    I guess I'm blaming the total auto locking thing they created. I would much rather have a manual "on the fly" over-ride on making selections.
    Could it be the disc or do I have a finnicky player?

Wes

7. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Wes,
    One of my Sony players had trouble with 'New Favorite' until I ran the 'auto calibration' feature in the service menu. I have no idea if Pioneer players have this feature or not, perhaps someone in the more hardware oriented forums could help.

The Sony info is here, if anyone cares:
    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonydvd.html

Tom

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Wes, seems like you ought to demonstrate to yourself the same malady with other discs before you conclude the player is guilty. The disc could be out of standards??? You can't "switch on the fly" with Sony players between CD and SACD. You have to hit stop and change programs. The two programs do not occupy the same disc space. So, changing on the fly cannot happen.

I think you need a bigger sampling of discs to conclusively prosecute the guilty party. Good luck![​IMG]

9. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

New Favorite plays just fine on my Pioneer 655A (45A).

The only problem is that the disc is made by Crest and is now starting to crack. [​IMG]

10. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Ok, I played around with it some more. One time I put the disc in and it started in SACD 5.1 every other time I either turned the player off or open/closed the drawer it started in CD.[​IMG]
    I found DVD-A you can go to group and go from #1 which on this disc was the hires 5.1, #2 was the hires 2.0, #3 was the video's from the DVD-V layer and so on.
    But I tried the same with SACD and I can not find any way to switch between any of the available tracks.

Rachael B said to change Programs, How do you do this? I have not found any way to change SACD from what ever it defaults to upon start up. Sure I can select SACD 5.1 for my desired playback method but that does not insure that it will not recognize it as a CD instead of a SACD.

Quite frustrated,
    Wes

11. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer has not made switching between stereo and M/C areas of SACDs and the CD layer easy.

To change between them, if the 563A is anything like the 45A, you'll need to go into 'setup', then 'initial settings', then 'options', then 'SACD playback'

12. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Just to bring this up to date.

I took the player in for repair, they replaced the Pickup and new firmware all under warranty, now it plays perfect and seems to have solved the low bass volume on the calibration set up.

I am happy now![​IMG]
    Perhaps I will go out and buy a new SACD (which I still hate)[​IMG]. Was looking at Aerosmith Attic Doors I think it's called, hows the M/C on this disc?

Wes

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

If you got the problem fixed and it was a hardware issue, why do you still hate Super Audio?

14. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Just not a Sony fan, and I feel DVD-A is a better product!

Wes

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Why do you feel that way?

16. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I am assuming your referring to DVD-A over SACD?

I feel the DVD-V capable options of DVD-A far exceeds the Hybrid CD functions of the SACD. And once they get it worked out DVD-A can also have a CD layer. I think they already do with the DualDisc DVD which I am not sure they really consider it a DVD-A but I think it's based on a DVD-A format.

Look at Shania Twain SACD and the DVD-A release. The DVD-A gives the consumer more for the money and DVD-A can even go well beyond what they give on that DVD-A release. SACD gives you what, a CD layer?

I liked buying DVD-A even before I had a DVD-A player just for the M/C DD and dts tracks. Now that I have the DVD-A player I can take advantage of the Hires stereo and M/C tracks.

I know that you love Sony and SACD and that’s fine but I personally like DVD-A and what it could be if properly executed like Shania’s "UP" DVD-A.

Wes

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I think that SACD is more about the music. There is an ability to add video down the road, but I see BluRay being pushed for video now.

I like DVDA also and have a collection of DVDA discs. I enjoy them for hirez audio of discs I can get on that format and not SACD.

I think I would not say that I "love" Sony; there are many things I wish they would do different. I do think they have a winner in DSD encoding. I think it captures the naturalness of live music better than PCM. I think this has something to do with the faster sampling rates but I don't think anyone knows for sure. All I know is that it seems very faithfull to the original source when I listen to a mic feed in the studio and then a pure DSD playback.

I would like DVDA a lot more if there were more titles but right now there is a more interesting selection on Super Audio for the jazz and classical works I gravitate toward.