1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

SACD/999ES not working with MX132

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rob_l, Nov 27, 2002.

1. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Ok, this is going to be a long post, but hopefully someone who is familiar with these models can help with the problem.

I'm having problems hooking up my home theater that was working before I bought my new SACD player. Here's what I have:

MX132 Preamp
    MC7205 Amp
    Marantz MM9000 Amp
    Sony 999ES SACD/DVDE

Using an optical cable from the 999ES to the MX132, I am able to get the DVD sound working with DTS/Dolby5.1. However, with SACD, I didn't get any sound. After reading that SACD does not use optical output, I plugged 6 RCA cables from the 999ES to the MX132. Then on the MX132, I set the mode to External and the input to CD, and am able to hear audio from all 5 speakers, except for the subwoofer. What am I doing wrong? How should the setup look like?

Some general info on the current setup. The MC7205 powers the 5 speakers. The Marantz powers the subwoofer, along with 2 speakers in another room.

As I said, when I play DVD/CD, it works fine as the mode is set to either Cinema or Stereo and the input is set to DVD.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

A couple things to ponder: Why would you set the pre-amp input to CD? To me, this is what you would use if you wanted the stereo L/R input active. Also, some SACD/DVD-A players need their default setting changed to enable the 5.1 outputs to be active.

3. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Setting the input to CD is just arbitrary for the MX132. Its basically identifying the cables I plugged into the back as the input source that is being played. I don't think it makes a difference. I could call it DVD-2 or something else.

As for the 5.1 settings, I can play a DVD with either Dolby 5.1 or DTS... but the problem is that the subwoofer is not functioning for SACDs.

My question for the 999ES owners. How did you hook the wires up? Any different than getting the DVD to work in 5.1?

Thanks.