What's new

SACD/5.1 channel cables (1 Viewer)

ChrisTes

Agent
I'm looking into getting a receiver and speakers (Onkyo HT-S832, it's from Radio Shack and on sale now. You can find the manual on their website still.) to go with my Pioneer DV 563A universal player to start listening to high resolution audio. Are the fancy analog cables that all come bundled together worth the money ($60-$150). Also, what would happen if I used a couple of the generic A/V analog connectors that I have (the ones with a red, a white, and a yellow) to connect up my 6 channel sound. Will there be a drastic difference? Thanks

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The audio video combo cables may have different impedences. The yellow one is 75 ohms and the red and white could be different as audio cables could vary (and they can vary from brand to brand). If you go that route, I'd make sure the red and white from a single cable are used as the left and right channels. It's not much of an issue for me as I make all my own.

ChrisTes

Agent
I'm just worried that it will sound bad. I'm new so I didn't even think about the impedance. Thanks for the advice. My best bet would probably go with a set even though it's more expensive. It will be easier to hook up and be better shielded, thus providing better sound. Any advice on a 6 channel set?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Get something reasonable to start out with - such as http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...dioprices.htm. There are others too. They also carry Belden 89259 (link on the bottom of the above page) and while a bit more than the cheaper ones that will stand up to many really silly expensive boutique cables and likely come close, equal or beat many of them. I'd get the hardware first and see what's left in the budget for cables. Don't skimp on hardware for cables. You can always get by on what you have laying around in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks