What's new

SA-WM40 or PSW-D110 which should I keep? (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Has anybody ever tried comparing these 2 subs? The Sony is a 12 incher and the JBL is a 10 incher. Does the Sony have the theoretical edge in the lower octave of base due to size? The Sony has a 120 watt amp and the JBL a 150 watt amp. I'm finding that the Sony volume knob needs to be turned up more.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
most people around here like the Sony. it's a great bargain sub...i've never heard the JBL, but for the $$ the Sony is where it's at IMO.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Well the Sony is considered the "Best bang for the buck sub" around here by many myself included.
That said, the JBL has much better build quality, And in my opinion sounds much better!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
The JBL is also rated 150 watts RMS, and the amp is capable of delivering more when needed.
A Bigger woofer does not always mean it's going to be capable of going lower than a smaller woofer.
A lot has to do with box size, box design, box tuning, and of course power. Which the JBL wins in all catagories.
------------------
Sean

Vin

Supporting Actor
That said, the JBL has much better build quality, And in my opinion sounds much better!
I would agree if it was JBL's PB line that was being compared here, but I seem to remember there being a number of quality issues with their PSW series subs. Besides, that's gotta be the ugliest looking design for a sub that I've ever seen! What's next, a sub shaped like a big tube? Yea right, like anyone would buy that!
wink.gif

Vin

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Vin, you're right the PSW line did have some amp problems, SOME not all, probably a small percentage.
But the build quality of the JBL is better, JBL uses thicker wood, the PSW D110 weighs more than the Sony, it just seems more stout.
If the truth were known, both would probably sound similar for HT use. But I would bet the JBL will still go lower and louder than the Sony.
If Len's budget allows for only for a brand new Sony or used JBL PSW, he might be better off getting the Sony because of the warranty.
Len I think you should save up a little more and go with the JBL PB series, especially if you want some serious slam!

Len Cheong

Second Unit
After viewing passages of Haunting, the JBL came out on top. Somehow, it blended better with my NSP1 package. The larger amp also made a difference. I had it only at a volume of 3 while the Sony was a 7ish. Construction wise, the JBL seemed more like what a subwoofer should looke like. Actually, I quite like the looks of this design. I know it has reliability issues but like you said, Sean, maybe for only a small percentage of people. I would have liked to go with the PB series but budget won't allow it. I have to save up for my other future mother of a system. Thanks for all the advice.
By the way, for those interested, both subs "fawlped" during the bedroom scene in Haunting when Eleanor gets thrown off the bed. Must be sub 20Hz.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
quote: By the way, for those interested, both subs "fawlped" during the bedroom scene in Haunting when Eleanor gets thrown off the bed. Must be sub 20Hz.[/quote]
Yes sub 20hz. Even those with mega buck subs complain about this movie bottoming out their subs.
I personally did not hear any bottoming out on my PB-12(-5 -10db below reference), but the Haunting is a known sub killer, so be careful.
------------------
Sean
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 09, 2001 at 01:46 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks