What's new

S38II vs Paradigm Reference Studio 20s (1 Viewer)

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
I've had JBL N38s for a year or so, but I'm not 100% satisfied with their music performance. (Reciever is an AVR325.)
From the reviews I've read, the Paradigms are preferred, but the price is a harder sell with the wife. I don't have anywhere convenient to listen to the Paradigms. Are they that much better than the S38s? Is it night and day, or just a shade of improvement?

Thanks,
Scott

John S

Senior HTF Member
I find them to bright for my Denons, if your N38's are just not bright enough for you. I think you will be very pleased how they mate with the H/K.

s38's are very neutral speakers.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
The Paradigms Refs are fine speakers and a fine choice for a speaker to own. I do think most people will tell you the Paradigm Ref is a better speaker the the JBL N38s you're comparing.

Your best bet would be to possibly buy a pair and compare them in your home.

What is it you don't like about the JBLs music performance?

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
The sound of the N38 isn't all that detailed. When I listen to music where lots of instruments or voices are heard at once, they seem to mush together just a little bit.
The S38 has received so many glowing reviews that I'm hoping perhaps I'd hear a marked improvement over the N38s.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think you would definetly hear improvement in every aspect compared to the N38's. But with your description of what is going on, that difference is going to be way more pronounced with the Paradigms used with the same receiever.

My real take on it is this:
For HT and from what you don't like about your current speakers, I think the Paradigms are a better choice.

For music, no way, I'll take the S38's anyday myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks