S38ii speaker stands??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al Tank, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Al Tank

Al Tank Auditioning

I just picked up the JBL S38ii and want to know where I can buy stands for them. I already did a search, but haven't found anywhere to get stands that will lay them horizontal. Any suggestions would be helpful.

p.s. I'm to lazy to build my own.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

My S38 Stands
    It took me a couple hours to make them. If you have a Home Depot you can buy the wood for $20 (1 sheet of 3/4" MDF). They can cut it for you there if you tell them the dimensions of the pieces. (For a small cost)
    Then take the pieces home and glue them together and add some screws. I made mine into adjustable bookshelfs by adding holes using a special drill press. It's very easy, I painted them flat black.
    It only cost me $10 per stand cause I had access to a table saw and already had glue and paint.

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

You could look for some plaster Column style pedastals. I picked some up at my local discountlobby store "Hobby Lobby" for $30pr. Keeps the wifey/g-friend happy b/c it looks great in the living room and raisied em up about 28".

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Since the S38 is such a "low-riding" speaker, shouldn't owners be on the lookout for 30-36" stands?

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

JBL recommended 24" stands max.

I think they are confident in their ellipse horn tweeter to disperse the highs.

My stands are 24" high and yes the tweeter is below ear level. However, the image I get is almost always higher than the speakers.

7. Al Tank

Al Tank Auditioning

Would it make that big of a difference if I had 36' stands??

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The stands I built are 29" tall which puts the tweeter on the S38 just slightly above ear level for me.

How much of a difference 36" stands will make depends on what level that places the tweeters in comparison to you ears at the seating position. The closer to ear level the tweeters are the better.