S38II and S312II breakin?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by CarterT, Nov 13, 2004.

1. CarterT

CarterT Extra

After reading most of the threads re: the JBL S38II and S312II I am not clear about breakin. I have been using the 312's for fronts and 38's for surrounds for about 4 months now. I recently added an SVS PB10 and moved my S26II to the surrounds. After doing some A/B comparisons (in stereo mode) using the 312's and 38's for fronts, I notice a huge difference in the fullness and depth. I listen to a lot of music (often in stereo) and find the 312's to be much fuller and crisper. The 38's seem to be missing something. Of course the differences are not as noticable in surround modes.

That brings me to my question. Since the 312's were played a lot more and "pushed" a harder than the 38's, could the huge difference I hear be attributed to the 312's being more "broken in"? Or is there really that much difference between the two?

Setup:
    Kenwood VR-6070 with NAD 2400 powering the fronts.
    SVS PB10 set to Auto
    Speaker size set to normal/small for all speakers
    Calibrated with RS SPL meter

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

It has nothing to do with "break in". They are different speakers, Of course they will sound different.

"Break in" of speakers or any other component is highly subjective. I have yet to see ANY actual measured results to prove any changes actually take place. Many people beleive it is not the speakers or components "breaking in", but the listener's ears adjusting to the sound.

James

3. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

Since you have that NAD 2400 driving the fronts, I'd try setting those speakers to large and see if you can get a cleaner blend in your bass. I have the S312 driven by Marantz M9000, and the speakers are very clean at high volumes, and it blends well with my PCi 20-39.

Overall, you have a great setup. If you've been listening to a lot of music/movies for 4 months, they are all broken in. Enjoy!!

4. CarterT

CarterT Extra

Thanks for the reply James and Hank. In response; I expected they would sound different, what surprised me is how much different. The 38's are not even close to the fullness and depth of the 312's. Hank, I tried setting the fronts to large but that seemed to only boost the bass on the 312's. It didn't do much to improve the 38's. Even tried some EQing but that didn't help much either. Because of placement limitations, I was hoping to use the 38's but unless I can do something to narrow the gap between the 312's, the difference in what I hear just isn't worth it.

5. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

There are a lot of people who would say the S38s are probably more accurate. That the 12" woofer on the S312s are imparting an unatural heavyness to the sound. Male voice can sound a bit heavy at times. That said, I personally am getting tired of the sound of small woofers. They just sound limp thru the mid-bass. Even though I don't need the extension, I prefer the mid-bass sound of 10" to 12" drivers. To me, thats what the music I listen to is supposed to sound like. I had a buddy with JBL 4412s all the way around. Even though they are crossed over at 80 Hz, the sound is so different (IMO better) than anything else I've heard. Everything just had a solidity to it. However, being that JBL wasn't the classiest brand, he bought a B&W THX setup for big $$$ which doesn't even compare. He wishes he still had the JBLs. The next set of speakers I buy will have large woofers.

6. CarterT

CarterT Extra

Greg, thanks for your input. I am not sure if it is mid-bass or what that is missing but I can describe it best by the instrument playing. Example: a rim-shot on a snare drum has a solid "thwap" on the 312's. On the 38's it sounds muffled or muted. Same thing with a conga drum. The differences are not as apparent with say a triangle or chimes but the 312's still sound brighter and clearer, the 38's again sound a little muted.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but my experience is so different than what I have read in this forum I'm just trying to find an explanation.

7. johnny..bon

johnny..bon Second Unit

John
    I went from a S-38 to a S-310ii. The S-310 has a much larger sound stage, a more 3D sound and much better bass when set to large. I also noticed a muddier bass with the S-38's. The bass is so much louder with the S-310's that I need to set the bass tone control down to about -3.5db and it will sound perfect. The JBL floorstanders are clearly superior for 2 channel music but are about the same for home theater movies.

8. Gioxtream

Gioxtream Auditioning

Dear friend...could you please tell me the specifications of each driver
    of the JBL s312 II ????????

JBL website dont want to give them out.They dont have that info.

Thanks in advance.