What's new

s26 vs s36? (1 Viewer)

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
just researching tonight and came across this difference...

can someone tell me why the s26 is rated @ 48Hz (low end) and the S36 is 60Hz?

i know this is nitpicky - but usually when you spend more on the same mfg. it results in "more" frequency-wise?

i can find the S26's for $169/pair while the s36's are $239/pair... i don't think that extra midrange in the s36 is really worth $70 more?!?!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The biggest difference in the S36 and S26 is that the S36 is a sealed enclosure, where the S26 (and the rest of the JBL Studio series) is a ported enclosure. This is the cause of the S26s deeper frequency response. The reason the S36 is a sealed enclosure is because there is an AW (all weather) outdoor version.

In an HT environment the S26s will most likely perform as well or better than the S36s. The ported design allows for lower frequency response. The 3-way design of the S36 won't increase mid-range performance much, although it will lend it to be a better match to the S-Center (also 3-way).

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
***The left/right front speakers were averaged over a ±30° window, with double weight given to the most common listening angle, 30°.
NOTE: The S&V JBL S38 objective benchmark shows that all JBL S-Series will reach 20 kHz (-3.8 dB) since they all use the same 1" Pure Titanium Dome Tweeter (double weight given to the most common listening angle, 30°).

FYI: For comparison - The JBL N-Series 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome reached ...

18.9 kHz -2.7 dB (double weight given to the most common listening angle, 30°)

18.4 kHz -3.2 dB (double weight given to the most common listening angle, 60°)

Needless to say, this obviously shows that JBL Award Winning Speaker Design Engineers accomplished their goal to utilize many of the same leading-edge testing and design technologies included in our Professional Series LSR Linear Spatial Reference studio monitors, and allow home listeners to enjoy the same neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality heard by the pros.

So whether one Front set S-Series blends better or not will probably not be an issue based on the various JBL S-Series owners (bookshelf to floorstanding) I've personally heard from.

My goal & priority was HT, so I chose identical speakers for the Fronts & Surround locations (JBL S26). I originally looked @ the JBL S36, but it would not fit @ my Right Surround location - so, I bought the JBL S26. All purchased without auditioning them, but based on my experience with JBL J-Series and JBL NSP1 (N24 x4 & N-Center) N-Series.

Later, my subjective findings were confirmed by this on-line "OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY" - Electronic Musician (Blind-Test ) article and "EUROTUBES" comments. Watching the last few newly released DVD's (Minority Report; The Borne Identity, etc.) were just glorious!!

Whatever JBL S-Series you choose should not only easily perform it's design goals, but based on the objective test, do it clearly, smoothly, dynamically (JBL trait - louder the better :)) and without adding any unwanted coloration while seamlessly blending in with the JBL S-Center.

Phil

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Of course the entire S series is matched to the S-Center, but the S36 will offer a BETTER match than the S26, even if only slightly, because it is a 3-way design using the same 3 drivers, not a 2-way like the S26 which lacks the midrange driver of both the S36 and S Center.

Like Phil said, I'm sure you'll be happy no matter which you choose, especially if you like the slightly bright sound of a titanium tweeter.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
A thing that you should consider is that the S26 are big bookshelfs, and very heavy also.

When I bought my S26 I thought I got the best deal, but later on I had to figure a way to hang them on the wall, and end up buying bracelets at $75 a pair, which look incredible by the way.

But my point is that you should consider

1) The money as your No1 factor, your budget is the most important thing.
2) Is the auditioning of the speakers, try to hear the S26 and the S36, and consider if you will going to use a sub or not, what will the receiver crossover be?.
3) thing will be your enviorment, room dimensions, can you install easily either, do you have a wife (show the speakers to her before), etc.

Hope this helps,
Pablo

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I went with Phil's way, and used the Home Depot 2.50 heavy picture wall hanger nail kit...works like a charm...doesn't move a bit even with my SVS right under it in the corner...just a suggestion:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks