What's new

S26 on rear wall ??? (1 Viewer)

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I know this topic has probably been hashed out many times, but my searching technique must not be good enough.

Anywho, I need to get my S26s up on the walls. My couch sits against the back wall (apartment dwelling and a not so spacious living room require this). If I mount the S26s directly on the rear wall facing forward will that be sufficient for a 5.1 setup? Would it possibly be better to have the speakers pointed in towards the listening area?

The surrounds are used only for DVD viewing.

Thanks.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
From Dolby's Website - the creator of DD-5.1 ...

3.2 Preferred surround speaker placement

The surround speakers should be placed alongside and slightly to the rear of (but not behind) the prime seating position (Figure 8); well above ear level, to help minimize localization effects (Figure 9); and aimed directly across the listening area, not down at the listeners (Figure 10). This arrangement creates a diffuse, enveloping surround soundfield throughout the listening area, like that in cinemas and in the dubbing theaters where soundtracks are mixed. If the speakers are too far forward, you won't get sufficient rearward effect, and if the speakers are too far back, there will be a loss of envelopment and integration of the surround information with the whole soundfield.

Figure 8: Place the surround speakers alongside and slightly to the rear of the seating area.

Figure 9: Install the surrounds two to three feet above listeners.

Figure 10: Aim the surrounds straight across, not down at, the listening area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks