What's new

S1000 fan noise? (1 Viewer)

Tam Nguyen

Grip
I know most of you in this forum using s1000 amp. I want to ask if fan noise is a problem, say placing it a few feet away from the listening position? Tom/Ron you can give me your thought on this as well.

Let me know what your experience before I place the order (20-93CS+ w/s1000). Thanks all.

Tam N.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I cannot hear any fan noise on my S1000. It is a very quite amp. Since you are close by you are more then welcome to come look (and hear) at mine before you place an order if you like. I have not tried a single sub yet but we can do that too if you like.

Laters,

Jeff

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Tam,

We tested many amps before we picked the Samsons. They are by far the quietest of their kind. From more than a foot or two away in a normal room I can't hear them at all. VERY quiet.

Ron

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on what you mean by "a few feet away". The fan is whisper quiet so unless you will be sitting very close to it then fan noise should not be an issue.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
From my couch, about 7 to 8 feet from the Samson, the fan is easily audible when the room is quiet. The sound it makes is a deep, gentle whooshing sound, so it's not annoying.

When playing a movie or listening to music, of course, I can't hear it (except during quiet parts).

But when I'm just reading a book, etc., I can hear it.

Tam Nguyen

Grip
The amp will be placed in the equipment shelf, which is ~ 9ft away from the sitting. If the fan noise described by Doug is so gentle, I think I can live with that. Dont we all know how the desk top computer sound like, right? That is annoying as heck :frowning:
BTW, thanks all for your input.

Tam Nguyen

Grip
go with the K1 is way out of my budget; though it is a real bonus to own an amp wout/fan. How much is K2 BTW?

Tam N.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I have my S1000 mounted in a rack that is built-in to the front wall of my room.

The fan noise is virtually undetectable from about 3FT away.

However......When you really push the system, the fans increase their speed and can get quite loud.

This has only happened to me twice so far and I was really pushing it after a LONG listening session.

If you are listening to a movie or concert DVD this loud, you won’t hear a truck crash into the side of your house, let alone the cooling fans.

Once you lower the volume, they return to “quiet mode” within a few minutes.

My equipment rack is getting quite HOT since I put the S1000 in there.

I picked up a few Panaflow DC cooling fans that I’m going to mount in the rear access door this weekend to draw some more air out of there.

It’s quite possible the S1000 fans will never need to “ramp-up” to their high speed if the area is kept well ventilated.

Shawn S

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks