S-Video "Y" cable- Will this work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Sz, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Andy Sz

Andy Sz Extra

I need some help.....My TV has just 1 s-video input. My receiver has just 1 -video input and no s-video output. I have 2 s-video sources (DVD and Directv receiver). Can I purchase an S-video "Y" cable with 1 male end and 2 females ends, and then use that to connect both sources to my TV?

Right ow, I have the dvd conected to the s-video jack on the TV and I have to switch to "Video 1" to watch DVD. My sattelite is connected via composite cables to the TV's "TV input".

Can I connect both the DVD and sattelite to the "Video 1" input via the s-video "Y" cable?

Thanks!!!

2. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

I would buy an S-video switcher. I have one from Rad. Shack that has 4 audio/video/s-video inputs, and one set of outputs. It is very inexpensive. The only downside is having to get up to push a button, but don't you have to get up anyway to insert the dvd anyway?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Andy,

I tried this once with regular composite video. It didn’t work - all I got was a bunch of funky-looking lines on the screen. I expect you would get the same thing with S-video.

Actually, I’ve never seen an S-video “y” cable...

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Andy Sz

Andy Sz Extra