1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

S-Video... why do I need it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brenton, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

My Fisher S100 DVD player is usually connected to a 32" RCA TV. This is fine, as it has the regular (color-coded) audio/video jacks, as well as an S-video jack. However, the instruction booklet that came with the DVD player says that the S-video cable is optional. But when I try to hook it up without the cable, it doesn't work. Now, this wouldn't be a problem if I didn't want to occasionally hook the DVD player up to the downstairs TV, which has only a co-axial jack and those two little screws (for hooking those old "rabbit ear" things to it). Is it possible for me to hook this DVD player up to the old TV? And is S-Video really optional, or was the booklet lying?

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Brenton,
    There are three basic ways to carry the video signal from your DVD to your monitor. The first is composite (the yellow plug) It combines all the video elements into one signal and relies on the TV to seperate them. The next step up is S-video. This uses seperate luminence(brightness) and color information and is leaps and bounds above composite. Next comes component. It to seperates the above information on seperate cables and can offer a slight improvement over s-video. Check out this thread for links to some pics.
    As far as hooking up to your older tv, it can be done with an RF modulator. Quality will be slightly less than composite but it will work.
    Bill
    Also check out thisthread for a bit more detail on those connections.

3. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

In that case, how is it that I can't get a picture on my TV when I have only the composite video connected without S-video?

4. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Well thats a noodle scratcher. They should work independently of each other not together. Each video input on the TV should have its own channel defined (i.e. video 1, video 2, aux, etc.) I've actually seen an older Pioneer RPTV that had its S-video assigned to around channel 91. It might even be possible that these inputs are user definable and you have to program the TV to assign which uses s-video (might have to break out the manual). If none of the above is true, then try a new s-video cable. Then check it on someone elses TV.

Bill

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Yes, check the cable (yellow plug). It might be bad.

As for connecting to the old TV, you can also connect the DVD player through a VCR if you don't want to spring for a converter.

Jan

6. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    When testing the composite (yellow coax) hookup, are you leaving the s-video cable connected to the TV? Some TVs disable the composite input when an S-video cable is plugged in.

Most DVDs have Macrovision anti-copy signals. If you try to feed their signal through a VCR, even though you're not recording it, the resulting image will flash and do other unpleasant visual things. RF modulators only cost about $20 or so and don't have this problem.

I hope this helps a little.

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Selden is absolutely right about that Macrovision bugaboo. I should have mentioned it. Thanks, Selden!

As for the other problem...geez, it just sounds SO MUCH like a bad video cable (yellow jack) that I'd love to hear a report on how a different, new cable does.

Jan

8. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

9. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Well, I picked up an RF Modulator today, and I've concluded that the problem was my TV's yellow composite jack.

Thanks for all the help.

10. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Check your DVD player.

My DVD player outputs in Composite and Component output or only S-Video. Check your picture settings on your DVD player in S-Video mode to see if it toggles between the two.

Hanson