S-VIDEO Vs. RGB SCART which is better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kurt Leutfeld, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Kurt Leutfeld

Kurt Leutfeld Auditioning

I have a VHS (PAL) video recorder and a DVD player, both have S-VIDEO and RGB output. My TV has 2 scart inputs 1 RGB & 1 S-VIDEO, which should I use to connect the VCR and DVD?

Thanks

Kurt

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Easy. Hook up the DVD player with the RGB (Component video). The DVD being a much higher-quality source will benifit more from the better connection.

Hope this helps.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Kurt, are you sure about the VCR having S-video out? I've never seen that except on SuperVHS models.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I, too, have not seen a non-super VHS VCR with S-video output, but it would give slightly improved tape playback. On the tape, luminance and color are separate.
    Even on S-VHS VCR's, whether the S-video output gives a better picture for tuned in broacasts depends on whether the comb filter in the VCR (using S-video cable) is better than that in your TV (using composite cable).
    If the TV accepts both RGB and component video, there is always a manual selection, switch or menu entry, to specify which.
    RGB from a VCR is for convenience. There is nothing present in the video (either NTSC or PAL) that RGB can deliver that S-video can't.
    Any one cable with SCART plugs can handle RGB or S-video but not both at the same time.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm