S-Video vs. Composite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_TX, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Mark_TX

Mark_TX Auditioning

I have a question regarding S-Video vs. composite. My receiver is a Yamaha RV-1105, which is about 2.5 years old.

The video capabilities of this receiver are limited in terms of s-video (it has s-video input/output for VCR, and s-video Output to Monitor).

I'm getting DirectTivo installed today, and would very much like some advice on the best way to connect it.

My TV is a 36" Sony Wega (1998 model). I'm currently using the composite out from the AV receiver to the TV (using good quality cable). I was told awhile back that using the s-video input on the Wega would bypass the 3D comb filter in the set, and that because of this the difference between the s-video and the composite is minimal (the composite DOES use the 3D comb filter). Can anyone confirm this for me? Also, would I be better off going all composite and having the convenience of the AV receiver, or should I go s-video from the DirectTivo receiver to the TV, and then have to switch video sources on the TV?

Mark

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Mark. Welcome to HTF!

Yes, the Comb filter in a TV converts Composite to SVideo.

If you have a source that can produce already seperated video (like a DVD player), the difference IS VISIBLE. I have both outputs hooked up this way and it is easy to toggle and see the difference.

For your Sat system, the difference is not always as dramatic for shows because it keys on how good the equipment was used up-stream. But for text/gridlines, you will soon hate Composite as you start to notice the "dot-crawl" on the straight lines with Composite.

My advice: hook up both connections. Run Composite from all devices through the receiver. This makes the system simple to use.

But also, run SVideo from the DirectTivo to the TV. And for your own watching, take that extra step and flip to the SVideo signal with the TV remote.

Good Luck.

4. Mark_TX

Mark_TX Auditioning

Michael and Bob,

I certainly appreciate the insight. I will definitely hook up both, and do some comparisons. I'm already running component video from DVD to TV, so switching video sources really isn't that big of deal.

Thanks again!

Mark