S-Video vs. Composite on Sony Wega

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_TX, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Mark_TX

Mark_TX Auditioning

I have a question regarding S-Video vs. composite. My receiver is a Yamaha RV-1105, which is about 2.5 years old.

The video capabilities of this receiver are limited in terms of s-video (it has s-video input/output for VCR, and s-video Output to Monitor).

I'm getting DirectTivo installed today, and would very much like some advice on the best way to connect it.

My TV is a 36" Sony Wega (1998 model). I'm currently using the composite out from the AV receiver to the TV (using good quality cable). I was told awhile back that using the s-video input on the Wega would bypass the 3D comb filter in the set, and that because of this the difference between the s-video and the composite is minimal (the composite DOES use the 3D comb filter). Can anyone confirm this for me? Also, would I be better off going all composite and having the convenience of the AV receiver, or should I go s-video from the DirectTivo receiver to the TV, and then have to switch video sources on the TV?

Mark

2. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

You should use s-video for Directv and composite for the vcr.

S-video separates the luminance (black and white) from the chrominance (color) whereas composite combines them into one signal (which causes them to interfere with each other). So, on the TV end, the TV has to separate the signals from the composite signal using the filter. With s-video it's already done so there is no need for the filter.

Component goes one step further and separates it into three signals.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

There are some complications.
    If any of the channels you get on Direct TV have analog video on them, the Direct TV receiver must use its own comb filter (questionable quality and certainly not 3D) to deliver them as S-video. Meanwhile the digital channels are best not delivered as composite. So if you want the very best picture quality on your TV with 3D comb filter,you may need to run both composite and S-video out of your Direct TV box.
    WHile the 3D kind of comb filter is the best kind, it is still better not to turn video that was never composite in its earlier life into composite just so it can go through the comb filter.
    Compare the picture quality both ways, you may find the difference not worth having the extra cabling.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If running your S-video through your A/V receiver is decidedly worse than running it directly to the TV (try it with each of the S-video cables) then the signal path through the receiver is of poor quality, a rare but not unheard of situation.