s video vs composite on DBS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

A while back I read a post about s video hookup vs composite on DBS hookup.Basically it delt with the possibility that better PQ can be had using composite due the the better comb filter in the TV than the DBS reciever.I have my stuff hooked up both ways,and just really cant tell a difference.Anyone else messed around with this?

thanks
    Greg Kolinski

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

There's no comb filter in the DBS box. Digital Satellite is broadcast as seperate chrominance (sp?) and luminance. It makes no sense to use composite if your TV has an S-Video input.

3. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Same thing here. I just upgraded my DSS last weekend and hooked it up with composite and there's about a 20-30% improvement. I have a New Hitichi HDTV that has 1080i.:b

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Some digital satellite systems include some analog source channels that do not have luminance and chrominance separated prior to transmission. Your satellite tuner box needs a comb filter to make good S-video from them. Some tuner boxes use a filter similar to that in a cheap composite to S-video converter rather than a comb filter. Here you might find that composite to the TV looks better.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit