S-video vs. Component

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stasulos, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Stasulos

Stasulos Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I understand the difference between composite and S-video is quite visible. But has anybody tried switching from S-video to the component? Is it much better?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It is better on my two sets. But not so big an improvement as going from RCA to S-Video.

3. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator

The difference between the two on my setup is down to brightness. When using the component outputs the picture is brighter without changing any settings on the TV.

Brighter pictures will look better - that's just how the eyes work. So it looks better to me.

Having said that though, the difference is marginal. As Lew mentioned it's not as big a step as going from composite to S-Video.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Home Theater magazine compared all 3 types of connections from the same DVD player to a reference 50" RPTV. Here is what they concluded:

Composite Video: baseline
    SVideo: 20% better than Composite
    Component: 25% better than Composite

They also noted that for smaller display sizes, the differences were less, and the improvement was greater for bigger displays.

Another member had a 25" tube set in his bedroom and for grins went from SVideo to component and noticed a visible difference.

So from all points of view - Component is superior.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes.

I have both hookups on my system, projected at a screen size of 84".

The s-video is AR silver conductor, triple shielded and is 20ft long. The component is also AR copper conductor at 20ft long.

I did some experiments using A Bug's Life dvd. When I watched it using s-video, there were very slight brown halos around Hopper's Body (bleeding) which totally disappeared when I switched to component video. There were also some colour differences with component being slightly less saturated than s-video, but the differences were small enough to be attributable to calibration variences between the two. There was also a very small increase in sharpness with the component.