S-Video vs Component Video

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Walt H, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Is there really a difference in picture quality between S-Video and Component Video on an analog TV?

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Maybe a small difference, at least in theory. Possibly a more accurate image. DVD video is stored in component format, meaning there are three video signals in total, two chroma and one luminance. Using Component video out keeps these three signals seperate and the dvd player does not have to downconvert. So theoratically, you should see a more accurate image.

S-video can only carry two signals, one chroma and one luminance. So, when using S-video out, the dvd player must combine the two chroma channels present on the DVD into one. So you aren't staying totally true to the source. In the real world, the difference may not be all that great, but in theory the component out should provide the more accurate image.

3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

There is. Weather is visible or not depends on the source material, source hardware, and the display.

Component is three separate signals:
    Y or luminance (The Black and White information)
    R-Y (Red minus luminance)color information
    B-Y (Blue minus luminance)color information

S-Video is two separate signals.
    Y
    Chroma (The R-Y and B-Y combined)

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Yes there is. On my 32" Analog Sharp CRT, There was a noticable difference. I watched a little of The Fifth Element and the difference was very apparant. I double checked Video Essentials and there is definitely a better picture according to the tests.

5. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Any difference between composite cables and component cables? I have a couple extra composite cables brand new. Can I use that instead of paying top dollar for component cables?

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

No there's no difference. Component and composite cables are both 75 ohm coaxial cable.
    On my projector it doesn't have a good deinterlacer like many projectors, therefore component cables from a progressive scan player has a much better picture than the s-video input.