S-video vs Component Video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GeoffE, Feb 16, 2003.

1. GeoffE

GeoffE Auditioning

I just purchased a Samsung 47in Widescreen. I have a Panasonic entry level DVD player. I have a $75 component video cable and a less expensive S-video and I really can't see the difference in the picture. Actually. Watching Star Wars the picture isn't as "crisp" as I thought it would be.

One other thing. Watching Castaway...there were one or teo dark scenes where it looked likeTom Hanks face was almost separating...it is hard to explain but it didn't look right.

Geoff

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Geoff. Welcome to HTF!

First, your newly purchased TV is setup in what we call "Torch Mode" The brightness and other settings are turned way up so if this unit was put on the dealer floor as a demo, it would try and catch the eyes of customers.

This extra-bright/sharpness settings are eye-catching, but can wash out finer details.

Get a copy of Avia or Video Essentials and do a rough-adjustment. More details should become clear.

But with a new set, some of the settings will need to be changed after the first .. 2 months of use. The optics & electronics have to settle in a bit so plan on using Avia again a few months down the road.

As far as the connection types are concerned:

Composite: baseline
    SVideo: 20% improvement over Composite
    Component: 25% improvement over Composite

So the difference is only about 5% between svideo and component (and this was on a 50" reference RPTV). This may be why you dont notice much difference.

Hope this helps.

3. GeoffE

GeoffE Auditioning

Thanks...that definately solves my S-Video decision. Where can I find this Avia or Video Essentials? My Samsung has an Auto-Focus so I imagine that may not always be the best way to go.
    As far as the "face shift" I say on Castaway...I don't know much about RPTV but is it possilble there are multiple projectors and they are not perfectly aligned...or something.
    Thanks again.

Geoff

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Places like amazon.com dvdempire.com and even some retail stores like Tower carry Avia. Another decent setup disk is Video Essentials. You can also find the Sound & Vision setup disk for about $15 at Frys. It's not as good as the Avia disk, but it's decent.

Note: All of these disks 'talk' you through how to do the adjustments and use the test patterns. It only covers the gross brightness/contrast/sharpness/color-tone & temp. After a few months, you can hire a ISF Certified calibrationist to come in an do the major adjustments. These guys have the equipment and experience and service-codes to really adjust the picture. Check out the "Display Devices" fourm where these guys and their customers hang out. But you need to let the TV settle in for a month or two before doing this.

Dont throw that component cable away. To use a Progressive Scan DVD player, a progressive game system, a HD cable or sat box you need component cables to carry the signals. SVideo cannot carry progressive/HD video.

Hint: Xbox lets you play games in glorious progressive scan. [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

5. GeoffE

GeoffE Auditioning

Thanks again.....I might RETURN my Component V cable and wait to pick up a shorter one....when needed...or on sale![​IMG]

Geoff