What's new

S-video vs. a 27" HDTV monitor- which is the better quality/value? (1 Viewer)

Micheal*Johnson

Auditioning
My 2 questions:
-how much better is S-video vs. composite on a 27" analog t.v.?
-is a 27" (4:3) HDTV worth the cost?

To set up my entry level HT, I'm trying to decide between a a Toshiba 27" analog flat screen and a Samsung 27" HDTV monitor (TXM2797HF). I'm not quite ready to spend $1,000 for the least expensive 16:9 HDTV monitor (Samsung 30"), plus it's a relatively small room.

The Toshiba analog is supposed to have an excellent S-video picture (according to Consumer Reports) and my current cable box provides digital cable and has an S-video output. If I go with the Toshiba I want to know how much of a difference I'll see upgrading from my current composite setup to the S-video setup.

If I go with Samsung 27" HDTV, my cable company can switch me to a special HDTV box with component outputs that will deliver a 1080i HDTV signal. The down side is there are currently only 6 channels available in HDTV. Since the Samsung is a 4:3 t.v. it's my understanding those few HDTV channels (and any widescreen DVD) will be letterboxed on the set (the set has vertical compression). So I'm not sure if upgrading to 27" HDTV is worth it since I won't be seeing a full blown HDTV picture, especially if simply upgrading to a 27" S-video t.v. will give me a noticeably better picture than I currently get with my analog 25" t.v. and composite signal.

Please reply with comments and recommendations. thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
How much of a difference you will see with S-video depends on the source. With cable you probably won't see much difference. With DVD you will see a prononunced difference.

Another advantage of the Samsung is that it can probably accommodate a progressive scan player. The Toshiba almost certainly cannot.

Does the Toshiba have a 16:9 mode? If it doesn't, it isn't even worth considering, IMO.

M.

Micheal*Johnson

Auditioning
Here's a follow-up question:

Michael, if I won't see much imporvement in my digital cable t.v. using the S-video on the analog Toshiba 27", suppose I switch to the HDTV cable box and hook up the composite outputs to the composite inputs on the Toshiba- will there be a noticeable improvement in my cable t.v. display in that case?

In that scenario, I believe there will be a problem with the analog Toshiba handling the 6 channels with HDTV (1080i). I'm not sure, but I believe I'll have to get a downconverter to handle the 1080i signal, am I correct?

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
You probably can't use the HD cable box component outputs with a standard definition TV. At least, the boxes my cable company supplies do only 1080i out their component connections, not the 480i that an SDTV requires.

I thought about that Samsung 27"er, but decided HDTV at 27" wouldn't be enough of an improvement over SDTV.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
suppose I switch to the HDTV cable box and hook up the composite outputs to the composite inputs on the Toshiba- will there be a noticeable improvement in my cable t.v. display in that case
As noted, that won't work on an analog TV. And even if you connect the HD output to a display that can handle it (e.g., the Samsung), don't expect to see much improvement on channels that are only broadcast in standard definition.

M.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I have an HD cable box and a 27" analog TV. The pictures is definitely better through S-Video on the HD channels-- it looks more like DVDs. Of course, that's only true when those channels are actually broadcasting HD...

Me

Micheal*Johnson

Auditioning
quote:
==============================================
As noted, that won't work on an analog TV. And even if you connect the HD output to a display that can handle it (e.g., the Samsung), don't expect to see much improvement on channels that are only broadcast in standard definition.
==============================================
Michael,

re: your reply on using a component hookup for SD output- is that true just for small 27" tvs or would I also not see much improvement in a larger 30" or 32" size?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It has nothing to do with the size of the TV. Standard NTSC broadcast channels have a certain amount of resolution, and it won't get any better by switching to an HD box. The only difference is that the bigger the screen, the more you see the flaws in an NTSC image.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks