S-Video versus Component

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoshR, Sep 13, 2003.

1. JoshR

JoshR Agent

I'm wondering if there's a discernable difference between these two cables on a late model but standard definition TV.

I have a Sony KV-32FS100(which I love), and up until yesterday I had a Philips DVD-Q50 going into it via component cable. Yesterday I replaced that player with a Sony DVP-NC655(I like it. Thoughts in my other thread.), with the same component cable hookup.

I waited until I'd tried another player to post this thread, and now I have.

Because the TV has multiple inputs, I was able to hook up both DVD players with an S-Video cable as well. Then I could switch between the inputs - and I do this all the time - to try and see which I like better.

In short, they both look about the same. With the philips player, the S-Video connection provided noticably more luminance, but with the Sony player the opposite is true - the component connection gives a brighter picture. And slightly less contrast, or maybe that's an illusion. Neither looked any better than the other, though.

Is there really a noticable difference in quality between these two connections? What kind of TV is required to benefit? Would I notice the difference if I had an HDTV?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I don't know if I would make a generalization. After all there are different quality cables. In addition, the 'S' connector itself, particularly less costly cables, is not necessarily the ideal connection. One also would have to adjust the players and TV properly (e.g. AVIA set-up disc, proper selection of progressive scan vs. non-progressive, ISF calibration, etc.) to be able to get a good comparison.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    In general, I think S-video is sufficent for analog TV.

4. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Actually, I have a Sony 19 in. flat screen in my bedroom... The thing cost like $300...

The S-Video is excellent... The Component actually looks worse... I bought the component wires too... I use the S-Video because it is actually better...

I remember reading reviews on this tv after I bought it saying the component wasnt that great on it though...

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

On the other hand, my bedroom system is centered around a 27-inch NTSC-only direct-view Toshiba. And the improvement in component-video connections over S-video is quite noticeable — dramatically so.

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Perhaps it depends on how well the tv in question handles each type of input.

7. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

The difference in resolution between s-video and component video will be subtle. The biggest difference should be in colour bandwidth. The component video cable should give you better saturated colours.

8. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i have a jvc hdtv 36" and i use my ps2 for my dvd player. I was using the rca's supplied with the ps2 and i recently bought the component cables for the ps2.

i cant tell a difference between them, what would be the difference?

9. JoshR

JoshR Agent

Paul - that's what I had heard, that the biggest difference would be color saturation.

Frankly, I haven't really noticed a difference in saturation, resolution, or anything else. Interesting that Jack's 27" tube Toshiba would show an improvement, while Ryan's 19" tube looks worse, and my 32" shows no difference.

I guess it's just hit or miss with component cables. Just out of curiosity, what brand/quality of cables did you guys use? I used the entry level Monster THX component cable; about $30 for 4 feet. Would the more expensive cable had made a difference? I doubt it...