S-Video to RCA

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Francois L, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Francois L

Francois L Stunt Coordinator

How a simple RCA to S-Video adapter can convert a composite signal to Y/C and vice versa?

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Radio Shack has a $20 converter which will take RCA in to s-video out and vice versa. I have used it and think it works pretty well.

SMK

3. oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn Agent

I think the ones you are refering to, the small 1" or so adapters that go inline, I think that those just combine the luminance and chrominance signal to the center pin of the rca and then the ground to the outside. This is purly a guess on my part, but highly doubt that there are any electronics in a little thing like that.

Ryan

4. Francois L

Yes, these small adapters.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

It contains a few capacitors, resistors, etc. TV sets "with no comb filter" all contain a similar circuit since they too must convert composite to S-video internally.

What it does is send frequencies approximately 3 to 4 MHz to the C (color) side and the rest to the Y (luminance) side. The frequency separation is not thorough or accurate, namely at the spec'ed boundary frequency there is considerable leakage to the wrong side while some distance from the spec'ed boundary frequency most of the signal goes to the correct side. This is an inherent characteristic of simple and inexpensive filters. Feeding the other way the Y and C will simply recombine themselves and come out the RCA jack.

There are some variations from one brand to another for example one brand might throw away the frequencies above about 4 MHz.

The picture quality will be about that of ordinary VHS tape.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidcomb.htm

6. Francois L

Thank you very much, it's make sense now.