S-video to composite switching

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

For the Kenwood HTB-505 can you hook a DVD player up with a S-Video cable and send the picture to the TV with a composite?

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Nope, the cable connections must be the same for the whole video path to the TV. S to S or Composite to Composite.

Alfer

3. Jason_Schwefel

Jason_Schwefel Auditioning

What I did is I bought some S-Video --> Composite adaptors and used them where I only had composite i.e. VCR. I have the better pic of S-Vid on everything except the VCR, and can still use the VCR to record my DVDs and do all the switcing throught he receiver.

4. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Jason,
    I've been looking for an S-video to composite converter. Where did you find yours? I had heard that Radio Shack sold them but I can't find one on their website. Anyone have a part number?
    Thanks for your help.[​IMG]

5. Jason_Schwefel

Part No, yes I do.

Radio Shack #: 15-1238

Note: They are expensive, $20.00, but I only needed one, as I already had one.

6. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer

7. Jason_Schwefel

no, i have an apex ad-1000 that i upgraded the firmware on, and made my own custom background image on. did it with a cd-r, no less

8. PederB

PederB Auditioning

You can also buy Ultralink's Composite to S-video cable
    [​IMG]
    1m retails for $29.95 and has only 0.5 db loss.Ultralink Cables

9. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

10. Jason_Schwefel

The reason you cannot reliably copy a DVD is because of MacroVision. In simple terms, when playing the DVD there is a signal that is applied that is neither audible or visible, when wathcing on the TV. VCRs however have circuitry in them that will 'recognize' this signal and cause the crappy image.

There are a few ways to avaoid this. You can buy signal enhancer, for copying videos. They are designed for old home movies that you want to tranfer to tape/computer/dvd/whatever. This produces *accdeptable* (used loosely) results Also, if you happen to have an old, and I do mean OLD VCR that does not have the MacroVision circuitry, you could use that.

The other option is to disable MacroVison on the video source. Most DVD players will either accept a "mod-chip" or allow you to reflash the firmware to turn MacroVision off. Doing either of these things WILL void your warenty, and can possibly render your DVD playing non-function.

11. Ted Drain

Ted Drain Agent

The cheapest I've seen is at Parts Express. Check out part numbers 180-140 (Female S-Video->Male RCA) and 180-141 (Female RCA->Male S-Video). Both are $5.25 and work fine.
    http://www.partsexpress.com
    Ted