What's new

S-video switching problem: Kenwood receiver/Pioneer dvd/Hitachi TV (1 Viewer)

derek

Second Unit
I just purchased a used Kenwood VR-309 (circa 2000)receiver. I noticed that watching via the s-video inputs during scenes of quick transition to high average picture level (bright explosions etc.) my TV seems to lose the sync and distort the picture (wavyness, choppiness usually at the top of the picture.) When I connect the s-vid straight to the TV it works fine. Composite switching works fine. The previous owner said he never had a problem with the receiver s-video. I'm assuming the combination of my dvd player and tv (pioneer dv-414 and hitachi 32ux8b) in connection with the Kenwood s-vid switching circuit causes the effect. Looking over previous net postings this was an issue with some Kenwood receivers and also some source DVD components. The best explanation I could find was that the transition (to high brightness level) causes the DC video level to drop and forces the sync pulses momentarily out of the range of the TV's sync separator. The picture rolls/distorts until the video level stabilises. My major question is why the s-video switcher in the receiver is boosting/attenuating video sync levels when it should hopefully act as a passive switcher. And how this can be fixed? Does any know of a solution and if/what Kenwood did about it? And help would be appreciated. TIA.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Derek
had the same problem with my 309, I believe it just isn't capable of sending all the signal or can't convert fast enough under heavy data loads. I upgraded to a 4090 and now 5900 and neither of these has the problem. The 5900 even does a great job upconverting to component.

I found the 309 can handle video games, cable tv signals, VCR but some DVD's just gave it hell. I hooked the DVD player up via component (don't konw if that is an option for you)and didn't have any more problems.

derek

Second Unit
Doug,
I think the 309 can handle the conversion...because other users/owners have successfully used dvd/svideo switching to their TV. I believe however the Kenwood 309 may push the signal past certain tolerance levels of some tvs/projectors.
Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks