What's new

S-Video switcher? (1 Viewer)

Chris Eisbach

Auditioning
Are there any decent S-video switchers out there. I currently have a receiver that only handles composite video but I now have a bunch of S-video capable devices (VCR, TiVo, DVD player, TV) My TV only have one S-Video input, I have would need to switch outside. Currently I use the receiver to do all the switching so my wife will not get befuddled by the audio being out of sync with the video.

So, what would be good is a relatively cheap video switcher that would allow me to use the S-Video connections and still be in sync with the receiver. I know that there are auto switching devices out there, but how do they work when some of the devices ALWAYS have a video signal coming from them?

There are two scenarios that would hinder an auto switcher. 1) Recording on the VCR may turn it on while I am watching something else. 2) TiVo always have a signal, how would it know wo switch to VCR or DVD when needed?

BTW, I am not ready to get a new Receiver because I would want to upgrade to HDTV in the next year or so, and do not want to invest in a goood receiver just when it seems that new connections for HDTV are being adopted.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I use one of the $40 manual Radio Shack switchers and it works fine for me. Wal*Mart has one for $30.

Chris Eisbach

Auditioning
I think I am going to try to find a cheap Receiver that has S-Video inputs instead. Thanks for the input.

rodney wiley

Second Unit
Chris I would think twice about the cheap receiver. I also used a manual switcher and got what I think is a good receiver with switching capabilities. Imediatley I saw a definite reduction in picture quality. I also have a satelite receiver,vhs,and dvd that have s-video output. I had to decide what was more important picture quality or convience. I now run my dvd directly to the tv and everything else I use the good old rca approach. I still dont have to get up to switch sources but My satelite and vcr picture qualty isnt quite he same. WhatI feel is an even trade for better dvd quality. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks