S-Video signals into component video signals!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by terence, Sep 17, 2003.

1. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I need a converter that can do this, because my Sat box only has Composite and S-Video out. Anyone know where i can pick one up?

2. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

Why can't you use composite or s-video? Are you using an AV receiver, some have converters.

Good luck,
    John Flegert

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I may be wrong, but I don't think that you can go from S-Video to Component video via a converter. I know that there are converters that go from composite to S-Video but I don't know of any that will convert a composite or S-video signal to Component video.

4. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

5. terence

terence Supporting Actor

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, what I basically understand to be true is that a composite signal can be converted up to S-Video, but not to Component Video. Also, an S-Video siganl can not be upgraded to a Component signal. Is this correct guys?

7. terence

terence Supporting Actor

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Those converters for composite to s-video are poor quality, to do that you need a high quality 3d comb filter, which is what is built-in to the better HDTV displays. Using s-video bypasses the comb filter in the display and you will get a lot of artifacts that way. You are better off using composite video to the display unless the source is s-video and it is not composite in nature. VCRs and NTSC tuners are composite signal and should stay composite. DVD and digital satellite or cable tuners are component in nature, so s-video is better with those sources, though a good display with a 3d comb filter can be just as good with composite as s-video. The comb filter built-in to the display is doing the best job of converting composite signals to the best quality you can get, trying to externally convert composite to s-video or component will always be lower quality unless it uses the expensive comb filter electronics as a high-end display which is very unlikely.

9. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Some receivers can upconvert composite and S-video to component. I have a Pioneer Elite 49TXi receiver and it will upconvert both composite and S-Video to component. I haven't used it yet so I don't know how good it does.

10. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I doubt the receiver would do as a good a job as the high end displays do. I suggest connecting it both with composite direct to the display and thru the receiver's upconversion and switch back and forth and see.