What's new

S-Video/RCA switcher? Do they exist? (1 Viewer)

Brian Lipszyc

Auditioning
I have a friend who has a TV with only 2 inputs, and would like to plug his VCR in using composite, and his cable box in through S-Video into the same input. He's already using component connections for his DVD into his 2nd video input. Is there a switcher that will accept composite connections and output them through the S-video port?
Thanks.

Robert Monzo

Agent
Well this may be more than your friend wants to spend but the Sima SVS-4 will do the trick. It's nearly impossible to find in stores but several mail order companies carry it. Crutchfield has it. Radio Shack can special order it. (RSU#11936325). Price is $150 from both places. Camera World also carries it for only $119. You can also buy it directly from Sima. I might be buying this myself because it has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. Hope this helps.
http://www.simacorp.com/svs4.html
Robert

Vin

Supporting Actor
Brian,
If your friend uses his receiver for video switching he won't need any additional switcher.
I know you're thinking he'll still be short an input on his TV but if he converts the composite video output from his VCR to S-video with one of these http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F002%5F018%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1238 before connecting it to his receiver then he'll only need to run S-video from his receiver to his TV for cable and VCR, i.e., he won't need a composite connection to his TV.
Hope this helps.

Brian Lipszyc

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies. Sima was the name of the company that I couldn't remember. I kept thinking it was Sony that made a switcher that could convert composite to s-video. I was on the right track with a "S" at least.
As far as hooking it up to his receiver, he doesn't have a true receiver yet. About a year ago, before I knew him, he had bought some POS surround sound kit from Home Depot because it was on sale. The speakers are decent, but the piece that actually does the surround sound is junk. No volume control, no remote, one audio input. So basically he has nothing. Maybe this will be the push that gets him to buy a new reciever. I'm trying to lead him towards a Denon 3300, but he and his wife are having their 2nd in a couple weeks, so he'll be strapped for cash.
Thanks for the link on that RadioShack item. Looks like that and a cheap switcher will be his best bet for now.

Robert Monzo

Agent
Just to correct my previous post, Radio shack does not carry the Sima switcher. They carry a Sony model I've been considering. Model SB-V66S. (cat# 930-0644). The Sony does not convert composite to S-video anyway. I've been looking at both lately and got them mixed up. Sorry.
Vin's suggestion is probably the best and cheapest solution for your friend.
Robert

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
The RCA VH-920 is the best bang for your buck out there. I got mine at Walmart for around $40 bucks, and it even had a $25 rebate from RCA (though I'm not sure that deal is still active). It has 6 different inputs (each with l/r/composite video/s-video) and one output. It also will learn your remote commands to automatically switch the component when the appropriate button is pressed on your remote. This thing works great, I have been very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks