S-Video Question?????!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by terence, Jan 29, 2004.

1. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I have a friend who wants at least 50ft of sheilded S-video cable, to run from his pre/pro (in a closet) thru the walls to the RPTV. His concern is having video quality drop because of the long run. My question is....

How bad if any will the picture be? Where can he buy S-video cable this long and still keep a strong picture signal?

Thx for your time.

2. John S

John S Producer

That is way far for svideo.
    Whatever he gets, he should try it without running it through the wall first to make sure it works well.

This place offers them $130 (US)

http://www.bettercables.com/svideosv...ource=OVERTURE

The cable is actually 15meters, which comes to like 49.2', I woudl expect this is close enough to 50' for him. The site comes up with the 1 meter length by default, just hit the down arrow on the field to choose longer / different lengths.

I wish him the best of luck with it.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    It's my understanding that S-video runs over 25 feet are where signal loss starts to mount. I can't tell you how much. I think it might be appropriate to use some kind of distribution amp for such a long run???

4. RichST

RichST Extra

I know that my step-father tried to run about 50 ft of S-video under the floor from his desk to the TV. It would only give him a B&W picture (which doesn't make sense to me). It was a pain to re-route it with new cable, but he did it again and had the same problem (he had also tested each of the cables this time.)

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Contact some of the custom-cable companies. Some of them offer "SVideo Break Out" cables.

This is a long run of a component cable, but 2 of the wires end in BNC connectors. 2 sets of SVideo plugs have 2 coax cables emerging that terminate in matching BNC connectors.

So the bulk of the run (actually all of the run) is HD grade component cable coax with SVideo plugs at each end.

Try BlueJeans cables for one of these or go through the custom cable makers in the What Cables should I buy thread.

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Very long runs will reduce the color first since that is the highest frequencies. The contrast of the signal will be reduced and noise may be noticeable.