S-Video Problems w/ Denon AVR-3801

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braun, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Jeff Braun

Jeff Braun Auditioning

Hello, I have a question about hooking up a DVD player to this receiver using S-Video. I'm sure what I'm doing wrong is easy to fix, but I just can't figure out what the problem is. Basically, I have the DVD player connected by the S-Video cable to the DVD input on the receiver, and the receiver connected to the TV output with standard audio cable (the one with red, white and yellow connectors). Basically, I can get an audio signal from the DVD player to the speakers, but no video signal. However, when I use two sets of regular cables, instead of one regular one and one S-Video, the video signal comes in properly. I know using one regular cable and one S-Video is a stupid thing to do, and I'll be getting another S-Video once I can get this problem worked out. Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? -Jeff

2. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    Receivers don't do any conversion of s-video to composite or the other way round. It just does the swtiching of the signals. So, if you input an s-video signal, you will output through the s-video monitor. If you put in a composite signal through the RCA jack, it will output the signal through the composite RCA monitor. Hope this clears things up.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jeff: When my DVD player was my only SVideo device, here is what I did:
    - I ran SVideo straight from the DVD player to the TV
    - I also ran Composite (single yellow cable) from the DVD player to the receiver.
    - I ran Composite from the VCR, CATV box, DSS box, etc., to the receiver.
    Then I ran 1 composite cable from the receiver to the TV.
    I left the TV set to look at the receiver signal. Now, my wife/kids could use the entire system just by using the receiver remote to do all the switching. And we could see the receiver menu's and on-screen display through this.
    But when I put in a DVD, I took the extra step and flipped the TV to see the better SVideo signal.
    Plus: when people came over, I would fire up a DVD and toggle between the Composite and Svideo signal so they could see how much better SVideo looked. This has helped encourage 2-3 friends to wire with SVideo.
    So it's NOT a stupid thing to do. It's actually very smart. [​IMG]