S-Video/Powerbook

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nathan Bjork, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I recently bought a Apple Power book and it has an S-Video out on the side. I have hooked it up to my TV before and it doesnt work. Do I have to activate the "out" in some way?

Thanks

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, most notebooks you have to activate it... as for HOW, i dont know how with mac, but with windows its usually CTRL+F5 or something... maybe try command+F5?

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Go into your System Preferences, and choose the Displays pane. You should see more information there.

What model powerbook did you buy? I don't recall any having S-Video without some sort of dongle...

4. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Also, you have to have it connected before you boot. Just plugging in a cable while the system is already running won't work.

Don, the black PowerBooks (with the "Pismo" being the last) have a simple, direct S-VHS output, although they are on the back, which is not what he has.

-Christian

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Christian: Thanks. You'd think I'd know that, owning a Pismo and all. I guess that goes to show you how often I use the S-Video out port [​IMG]

6. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

thakns alot everyone for responding. I will try it out later today. I have the PowerBook G4 15" widesceen.

7. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

You don't need to connect the TV prior to booting the computer. If you attach the S-Video cable after startup, open the "Displays" pane of the "System Preferences". With your TV set to the proper S-Video input, click on the "Detect Displays" button in the "Displays" preference pane. A dialog box will pop up on your TV that'll allow you to adjust its resolution and color calibration. You can adjust the relative positions of the desktops and set which monitor acts as the primary under the "Arrangement" tab of the "Displays" pane.

If you want the TV to function as the sole monitor that is "seen" by the operating system, you will need to put the computer to sleep, close the lid, attach an external keyboard/mouse, and plug it into the wall. At that point, you can hit a key on the keyboard and the PowerBook will startup with its built-in screen turned off. You'll want to re-open the lid after startup, at which point you can also unhook the external keyboard/mouse if preferred. You can turn the built-in screen back on at anytime by doing the "Detect Displays" procedure.