What's new

S-Video or Component? (1 Viewer)

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Panasonic DVD player (~3 yrs old) that has S-Video, Component, digital optical, and digital coax outs.
My TV has only RCA and S-Video in.
If I run S-Video from my receiver to TV, do I get a benefit by running Component from my DVD to receiver? Or should I just stick to S-Video all the way through? In fact, I'm not sure if my receiver could even make the switch from component in to S-Video out. I just got it today -- it's an Onkyo TX-SR600...I'm trying to set up my very first HT :)
Finally, is digital optical better than digital coax for the audio out on my DVD?
Thanks,
Brian

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Most receivers do not do "converting" between any video sources, so you most likely can't do the sort of setup you are talking about. Component is only marginally better than S-Video, anyway (of course, your milage my vary) so you aren't going missing much by going with S-Video. And even if Component was any better, by converting it to S-Video, any advantage is "dashed on the rocks".

Optical and Coax, are almost identical. Sure some people say that they can tell the difference, but most find them equal. Considering that you can pick up a 75 Ohm video cable for quite a bit less than an optical cable I would go with Coax.

Edit: after looking at the specs it doesn't appear that it does Component-->S-Video conversion.

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

Thanks for the advice -- sounds like S-Video will meet my needs.

I'm quite surprised about optical and coax being similar quality. I guess I assumed optical would be considerably better.

Thanks again for your time! This forum rules!

Brian

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
It has been explained to me that with digital connections, the signal is either "there" or not (ie, it either works as well as it can or doesn't work at all). The story of the "guy who used a coathanger" has been repeated here often.

Brandon B

Second Unit
Don't forget the ubiquitous "optical cables are more fragile, but less subject to noise" remark, too.

BB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks