s-video help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff cr, Nov 6, 2002.

1. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

does anyone know if they make a splitter for s-video cables i don't have enough inputs on my av receiver so i would like to take two s-video cables into one and then go to the tv. also when hooking up the audio for components, to get dolby digital 5.1 sound, do you have to use an optical cable or digital coax cable or will you get it from using the rca composite connection. thanks

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

You must use either a digital coax or on optical cable to get 5.1. As for an S-video splitter I don't think one exists (At leasst I've never seen one) however just get a video switcher from Radio Shack or some other electronics store. You can probably find them starting at about $20.00[​IMG]

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You have to use a digital connection (either Optical or Coax) to get 5.1... if you use the 2 standard Red/White RCA cables you will only get 2 channel sound...

-Vince

4. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

You could just wire up a few cords together to create an S-video splitter, I used to do this to plug my digicam into my tv. Just make sur you don't have both on at the same time [​IMG], makes a funny picture. Again, you could get an rca splitter, and run 2 coax lines into one input, just make sure you only use one at a time.
    The other alternative as stated above, is to use a video switchbox, or video switcher if you will. I used to use one before I got my reciever. They can generally be found fairly inexpensive.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You really dont want to wire your own spliter.
    With video frequencies, the cable impedence is very important. All video cables are made with something called 75 ohm coax.
    Because of the way impedence works, just wireing up a splitter will mess with the impedence. At best this will loose some quality, at worst you will get reflections in the cable causing ghosting/focus loss.
    There are several "selector" box's you can get. Radio Shack sells them, and the better ones can be bought from professional broadcast houses like www.markertek.com Good Luck.