S-video from cablebox to reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse_G, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Jesse_G

Jesse_G Auditioning

Recently I bought a Sony HT-in-a-box from Best buy. Pretty nice starters kit it seems, and I'm happy.
    Here's a link to the product, and here's a picture of the back of the receiver.
    My DVD player has digital coax to the receiver for surround sound audio, and rca video directly to the tv. It works really well.
    Right now, my digital cable box uses coax to the tv (obviously) and rca red and white audio to the receiver. Obviously, no surround sound. If at all possible, I'd like to get surround sound out of my digital cable box.
    Now, the cable box has an s-video out. But my receiver doesn't have s-video in. I do have a digital optical input open, plus the array of multi-channel inputs that I couldn't imagine the use for. Is there any way to convert this s-video into something I can get into my receiver for surround sound? Or am I just stuck because I didn't think ahead too much on what inputs I'd need (doh!)
    Thanks!
    Jesse

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Just to be clear, S-video has nothing to do with audio (thus it being called S-video) and you would not need to make this connection to the receiver in this case, since it does not support that level of video switching. If your TV has S-vid in, use that instead.

Your digital cable box needs to have a digital output for you to get surround out of it, and it will not provide you with surround for everything broadcast, only those shows which are broadcast that way. If it has only coaxial digital out, then you will need to get an adapter. If it has optical, you are all set, all you need is a cable.

You should be able to get "simulated" surround out of any 2ch source by using any of the DSP modes built into the receiver, however you will get much better sound by picking up a DVD player and using the optical connection.

3. Jesse_G

Jesse_G Auditioning

Ok, now I'm upset. Silly Charter Comm. Here's an email I sent to their support before I came here:

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It sounds like they are mistaking their terms, and someone who is not actually technically skilled in their product has responded to you. It is physically impossible for an S-video cable to carry audio.
    This is S-video:
    [​IMG]
    Optical digital:
    [​IMG]
    Coaxial digital is essentially the same as an analog RCA connector.

5. Jesse_G

Jesse_G Auditioning

Thanks John!
    I'm not suprised that Charter support is confused [​IMG]
    So, the last gasp: There's a little hole on the back of the cable box that says IR next to it. Is there any chance that its a digital optical out? Is it common at all for cable boxes to have digital optical out? Charter's given me a standard (probably bottom of the line) Motorola DCT2000.

6. Wayne Clark

Wayne Clark Agent

Jesse, The IR port is for the IR Blaster port, this is used by the cable box to control other equipment. The Motorola site indicates that this box could have as an option a optical AC-3 output, if you don't see it, it's not there. The S-Video out is also an option. Be aware that you be getting Dolby ProLogic through the Red/White RCA plugs. This will get you some surround and this is what most normal TV is broadcast in anyway. There are some premium stations (some HBO, some STARZ) that broadcast in DD. But for everyone else ProLogic is enough. Wayne
    Link to Motorola PDF