S-video extension cables ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Holton, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

Do they make S-video extension cables... and if so, where can I get them?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

this link may be of some benefit to you. If that's of no use, check out Parts Express
    Good luck!

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jeff: keep in mind that video signals are much-higher frequency than say audio. These signals are sensitive to the impedence of the cable. I dont believe the SVideo connector is really 75 ohms, so putting a extension in the middle of 2 svideo cables may give poor results.

(Think of the sidewalk leading to your house. The front step is a different height and occasionally, people will stumble over it. Putting a connector in the middle of 2 cables is like putting another step in the middle of your sidewalk - you are going to get more stumbles.)

I'd really rather see you with a single, un-broken budget cable rather than 2 higher-end cables with a connector.

Another option: do you know about "Breakout" cables? There is a guy selling them on eBay. It is a SVideo connector, but it splits into a "Y" with BNC connectors. He sells you 2 of these and a long run of component video cable so you can do long runs with the better coax, but use SVideo for the connector.

Note: SVideo cable is really 2 28 gauge wires twisted together. Component video is 18 gauge wire, with each wire in it's own coaxial package. Much thicker, better separation, usually rated for 100 feet or more.

Your 3rd choice: hit the custom cable sites. They will sell you a custom-length SVideo cable. It will cost more than the budget cables, but cheaper than the mid-range Monster offerings. (I'm not up on current prices so I cannot quote any).

Good Luck.

4. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

Bob -

Thanks for the info... unfortunately, I don't think I have a whole lot of options. I am building a theater in my basement, and I am going to have seperated cabinetry underneath my stage to hold all of my video games. Unfortunately, they will be about 10 feet from my receiver, and the S-video cables that come with the game systems are only about 5 feet long. My only options are either use S-video extensions, or use RCA extensions. I assume that two S-video cables will provide a better picture than two RCA cables.

One other option would be to get an S-video switching box, and then run all my game systems into it, and run one S-video cable from the box to my receiver. But, I assume that using a switching box will have similar results as putting two cables together.

Thankfully this only effects my video games, and not DVDs...

That does bring up a question though. Does the fact that I run S-video from my DVD player to the receiver and then out to my projector create the same "sidewalk step" effect? Would it be better to run the S-video directly from my DVD to the projector?

Thanks again
    JeffH.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well I run SVideo from my XBox, DVD player and DSS systems into my receiver, then one long run to the TV.

You are correct that the receiver in the middle acts like a connector for 2 SVideo cables. (I had not thought of it that way before!)

The trick with video is that if the signal 'sees' a impedence greater than 75 ohms, some of the signal can reflect back. It will ping-pong and eventually show up on your TV as a ghost image/outline. Hopefully the pathway in the receiver is designed to appear as a uniform 75 ohms (and compensate for the SVideo connectors). It's a bit harder to do with a simple SVideo barrel connector.

Have you tried eBay for extension cables for your game system? There was a guy who could rig up custom length XBox cables using Canare coax. It's worth a search for your system. Otherwise, you may be right: a connector for 2 SVideo cables might be what you need.

Good Luck and let us know what you find works.