S-Video converters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'm just wondering is there an adaptor or something out there that can convert a composite video signal to S-Video. My DVD player (Toshiba 2150) supports S-Video but my TV (a 20' Sony Trinitron) doesn't. I would like to take advantage of S-Video instead of using composite. Is there such an adaptor? also price-wise what will it run me? thanks.
    -Keith-

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    If you are looking for something that is not overly expensive then places like www.milestek.com carry such a product. It is $39 and the part no. is 90-10126

3. Martin

Martin Auditioning

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Thanks for the tips guys. Do you think Radioshack might carry something like this? I'm not to keen on ordering off the internet, I mean with security issues in today's age [​IMG]
    -Keith-

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Keith, Radio Shack does have these but it won't do you any good if your TV doesn't have an S-video input. I have one and it works well but it won't work in your situation, here's why.....
    These converters are used to convert a composite video signal to S-video for convenience, example: your TV has only one video input (that will accept either composite or S-video but not both at the same time) but you have several S-video sources and a standard VCR that only outputs composite video. In this situation you would convert the composite video output from the VCR to S-video before connecting it to your A/V receiver. Then only 1 video connection (S-video cable) would be necessary between the A/V receiver and your TV.
    In your situation, with a TV that doen't support S-video, these converters will serve no purpose....just use the composite output from the DVD player to the TV for now until you get a new TV that has S-video inputs.
    Hope this helps.

6. DanSt

DanSt Stunt Coordinator

Radio Shack does carry this exact product. It costs like $19.99. Sorry, but I don't remember the cat #.
    I have used them and they work perfect [​IMG]
    ------------------
    ...transmission terminated...
    Anubis
    [email protected]
    [Edited last by DanSt on July 29, 2001 at 10:35 AM]

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Keith,
    As others have said Radioshack does have this converter. However, heed Vin's advice! Since your TV does not have an s-video input you would really be wasting your money. You would be using the adapter to convert S-video back to composite. And do you really think that a $20 part from Radioshack would do this as well as the DVD player itself? Nah, I didn't think you did... [​IMG] Why not instead use that money to start a "buy myself a new TV" fund... [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I misunderstood the purpose, I thought it would give you a S-Video signal if your T.V doesn't support S-Video. Oh well guess I'd better start working towards a nice big 16:9 T.V [​IMG] thanks for the help guys.
    -Keith-

9. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody have the RadioShack part number?
    I did a search of their web site and can not find it?
    I found another web site but once S/H is added it will cost me about the same as if I purchased from a local 'RS' and could not return if I found it non-fuctional.
    --David

10. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

11. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

(again, only if the TV accepts S-video in)
    Apparently in this day and age (mid-2001) the best way to convert composite video to S-video is a box about 15 inches by 12 inches by 3 inches, costing as low as USD 200., called an S-VHS VCR!
    I have a JVC 3600U (near their low end) that does it with a 2-D comb filter, giving clear resolution out to 400 TV Lines @ 4:3 (very good) and hardly noticeable dot crawl.
    High end S-VHS VCR's supposedly have 3-D comb filters that do the conversion even better but I didn't see any such advertising claims on JVC's higher end S-VHS models, and a 3-D comb filter, if present, is almost always advertised prominently.
    (or if you are using a computer monitor for a TV)
    An iScan unit (one of a small number of available devices needed to convert NTSC to VGA) has a decent 2-D comb filter.
    Anything under USD 100. probably won't deliver better than ordinary VHS tape quality at its output, they just don't make good comb filters that cheap.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 30, 2001 at 06:41 AM]

12. Stevie B

Stevie B Auditioning

Mr Jayne,
    I, for one, love your site and have found it to be a wealth of information. Thanks to people like you many of us have been able to develop a better understanding of video technology and, hopefully, use it to make a more informed purchase decision.
    Thanks again,
    Steve