What's new

S-Video converter question...please answer :^)) (1 Viewer)

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
I am doing video editing with my computer and I have come across an obstacle: I only have a HiFi VCR with component out. Now, I can use component out. But here is what I was wondering. You know how a copy will degrade or look worse after every copy. Will a "composite to S-Video" converter eliminate the a video from being degraded when copied. I am asking this because these adapters claim that the video will only look as good as the composite. I know that Monster sells a converter for about $99(but, you might as well get a new S-VHS VCR for only $30 more if your gonna buy this converter
confused.gif
). Other off brands sell theirs for about $8-$39.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Any analog copy is going to look worse generation after generation. Composite or S-VHS isn't likely to make a difference.
Having said that, most of the composite-to-S converters out there suck. They are simple notch filters, and seriously degrade the resolution, show some nasty dot crawl, etc. I used the Tributaries C2S converter for a very short time, and it was BAD, BAD, BAD.
To get good composite separation, you need a good 3D motion adaptive comb filter. These only exist in good TVs, good LD players, and separately under a few esoteric names ($$$).
Personally, if video quality concerns you, I'd get a decent SVHS VCR, with a memory buffer for digital noise reduction and time base correction. Something like the JVC 7800 or 9800 ($250 and $450, respectively, on the web). I think you'll be much more satisfied with the results.
You mention editing on the computer. You can eliminate generational loss by simply making each tape copy directly from the source on the PC. That will minimize it to the maximum degree possible. This only applies if I understand what you are doing correctly.
Todd
[Edited last by Todd Hochard on August 11, 2001 at 06:31 AM]

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
I got one from partsexpress and my opinion that it is definitely an improvement from composite. It's still not the same as a pure s-video signal throughout.

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
This only applies if I understand what you are doing correctly.
I am capturing the video and burning it on CD. I have burned some copies and they look so much better when the video is capture straight from television live (there is little to no pixelization). Anyways, I am burning my copies of the Simpsons on VCD which are already taped. I am mainly trying to get the quality as good as I can get it when making the VCD. It appears as though I may have to stretch my wallet and get an SVHS VCR though.
I know, The Simpsons are arriving on DVD and I will purchase the DVDs. But, it's going to be a looooong time before the rest of the series arrives on DVD. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks