What's new

S-Video connectors (not cable) - any difference (1 Viewer)

ButchW

Auditioning
I don't want to add to the various debates on if cables make a difference, but this question relates to the quality of the connector on S-Video cables. When I first got my DVD player, I bought an AR Pro S-Video cable (6 ft length), which worked fine for me. Recently, I was rearranging my HT setup, which necessitated unplugging, rerouting, and re-connecting all of the cables.

When I first played a DVD after reconnecting everything, the picture on my TV was in black & white. After a bit of putzing around, I discovered when I reconnected the S-Video cable to the TV, a couple of pins were broken off (I hate these cables that don't have anything to indicate which way the plug goes in). I managed to scrounge up an S-Video cable I had gotten as part of a graphics card I bought for my PC and am back up and running.

Everything is working fine now, but I'm wondering if I should replace the cable. If I do, is there a difference in the connectors used? In other words, do they all suffer from the possibility of getting the pins bent/broken or are some sturdier than others? I'm considering the cable from BlueJeans Cable, so the $35 price range is what I'm willing to spend.

Thanks in advance.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I don't know of anyone that's done destructive or durability testing of the connector in question. You could always ask them what connector they're using and read up on the company. Either it'll inspire confidence or trepidation. Wish I had a more conclusive answer.
Another thought might be to consider a purchase from a pro place. Maybe Markertek has some additional insight with regards the robustness of the svideo connector.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I've used 4 different brands of s-video connectors on my diy cables and they are all fragile.
I'd stick with a retail cable from a local supplier that way when they fail (very likely)you can return/exchange them under warranty. Doesnt Monster offer a lifetime warranty?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The problem is the form-factor of a SVideo plug requires very tiny pins to make the connection. So I'm not sure if any other brand of SVideo cable would be more durable.

Note: SVideo DOES have a key on the plug so you cannot insert it wrong. But pushing it in hard will bend the pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks