S-Video Connection Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_H, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Apr 27, 2000
    I am in the process of playing with my receiver and hooking up an S-video output from my receiver to my monitor. I currently have a VCR running on RCA connections into the receiver... and this picture should be delivered to the monitor under the S-video setting. If I attempt to view under the S-video input label on my monitor...I get no picture. However I noticed that if I hook an RCA into the video output on the receiver and set the monitor to that setting ...it does work. I have a suspicion that if I hook up my Laserdisc..which has an S-video out... to the receiver..it will work under the S-Video setting on the monitor. Question...are S-Video connectors only capable of transmitting S-video quality signals or better?
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    Your receiver will NOT convert one type of signal to another.

You must run SVideo out to see any/all SVideo sources.

You must run Composite (Single RCA cable) out to see any/all Composite sources.

I'm not endorcing this, but some people have gone to Radio Shack and bought a little $20 "Composite to SVideo" converter plug. They use this on the output of the VCR so all their sources look like SVideo.

(There can be some degredation of the video quality because of the plug. But for the occasional use of the tape for the kids, it's acceptible)

A better bet would be to upgrade to a Super VHS vcr that offers SVideo output.
  3. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

Aug 5, 2001
    I have one of the RS converters. It degrades the video quality some but not enough for me to run out and buy a S-VHS vcr. Normally I tape a show, watch it and tape over it. There is however noticeable chromatic aberrations. That bothers me the most. I did see a converter at Fry's for $4.95 but I don't know how well it works.