S-Video/Composite Rcvr. Switching Don't Work Together? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Edward, Oct 9, 2001.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I am setting up a system for someone: Onkyo 595 Receiver and a JVC AV36-D202 Television. The S-Video input works on the TV when I have the composite cable hooked up, but none of the composite signals(VHS, Playstation, TV Video from cable box) are passed. If I disconnect the S-Video connection from the back of the TV, the composite signals are then passed without a problem.
    I don't see any menu choice on the TV that might need to be turned on to accept both inputs into the Video 1 inputs. This is the first time I've encountered this problem.
    HELP!!!!

2. Howard Christian

You mean you are using both S-video and composite on the same video 1 input?
    Well what you can do is just move either the composite or s video to video 2
    You don't like switching your tv to other video modes?
    another alternative would be using all s video switching
    I dunno if the onkyo supports it
    Just get a composite to s video converter from radio shack
    I think you can get s video cables for playstation from best buy or is it just ps2?
    Good luck!

3. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

When many TV's "detect" an S-video connection, that S-video connection over-rides the composite input when both connections are on the same audio/video input on the TV. Your best bet (if the TV has only 1 video input or you are trying to do away with switching inputs on the TV by doing video switching through the receiver) is to buy some composite-to-S-video adaptors, like this one http://www.radioshack.com/searchsku.asp?find=15-1238 and only use S-video through the receiver to the TV.
    [Edited last by Jim A. Banville on October 09, 2001 at 07:58 AM]

4. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Thank you!
    I will definitely pick up the adapters. I did not know about them. I am trying to keep the switching as simple as possible, as the people I am setting this up for are video-phobic. I prefer, in my own system, to run each connection directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver altogether.
    By the way, Sony TV's allow both connections to be used.
    Thanks again...

5. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

I have the Radio Shack adapters for my vcr. Note: The adapters are female on both ends. Unless you want long "cables", I would suggest getting male/male adapters also. My setup is like this: vcr->m/m rca adapter-> rca/svideo adapter->svideo cable->receiver.
    Alan

6. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

"By the way, Sony TV's allow both connections to be used."
    Not my Sony TV. I found that out the same way you did with the JVC TV.